Reschedule headaches

I've never put on a race - closest I've come has been volunteering. I know a lot of things go into hosting a race like Battle the Bear, from permits and course marking to food and volunteer logistics. Getting everything in place once seems hard enough, but twice? Nearly impossible. So I have nothing but respect for the Warriors Cycling crew with the headache that rescheduling the rained/mudded out Battle the Beat has become. Bear Creek Lake Park is a popular place and there are lots of events going on. So it's not as easy as just picking a weekend and saying we'll race then. They have to work with the park, the look at semi open weekends in the packed mountain biking calendar.

I also have to respect that Thane and Co are trying to include the riders in making the decision on the reschedule. But I think it's a case of you can please some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time! Every weekend in the summer has something going on at this point and many riders have made plans for the entire season. And what one racer thinks isn't important might be a deal breaker for another! I know that's the case for Nick and I - we have some important races that others aren't even thinking about.

In the end, we'll have a new race day and the Battle the Bear will finally happen. If Nick and I can be there, we'll be racing all out. If not, well that's life and good luck to everyone racing! (But it's been funny reading some of the comments people have been making about various dates...)

Comments

  1. Edit to add - the race has now been scheduled for June 3rd! It's gonna be a busy weekend, but I'll be happy to race...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..