Cooking experiments

So, a while back, I wrote that I was considering going (mostly) gluten free. Biggest reason being that it would make cooking for Nick a lot easier and I wouldn't have to make two different meals sometimes. Another reason being the health benefits some of my non-gluten sensitive friends have reported since starting the diet. One of the biggest hang ups for me was baking. I love baking and had not had the best luck with the gluten free flours for simple things like pancakes and waffles. So I hadn't even tried the more complex recipes I have and was afraid that it wouldn't work at all. But one of the suggestions I got was to use some Xantham Gum in the recipes, with most of the websites and such all saying that it was a necessary ingredient for successful baking.

After wincing at the price - I did get some at Whole Foods a few weeks ago. And it has made difference in the simple recipes - the pancakes and waffles are fluffy and moist now. Before, they were really dry and thin and Nick wanted to drown them in maple syrup. Last weekend, I got the courage up and decided to try making one of my cornbread recipes, one of the fancier breads with pumpkin and such. Nick took one look at it while I was mixing the eggs in and said it looked disgusting. That was not the case when I pulled the bread from the oven. Perfectly done, with a light golden tone to the crust, moist and crumbly inside. He took a small slice, then a larger one and said it was really good. So, success! The one thing I have noticed with the gluten free flours is I have to be very careful about mixing. They tend to clump more then wheat based flour and need more even mixing for longer. But so far so good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..