Hawaiian Muffins

Hey, it's Kona week! And even though I'm not racing tris on the road that much anymore (my poor tri bike hasn't been ridden outside since 2010) I still think about the Big Island and how much fun I had over there. I was lucky enough to race Kona in 2008 - and while my time was nothing spectacular (being sick will do that to you) the whole experience of being out there was a lot of fun. So this morning, I decided to make some muffins in honor of Kona week and the racers who will pay homage to Madame Pele this Saturday. The melding of pineapple, macadamia nuts and coconut worked perfectly. And since we're athletes, I also used some flax seed and oats for whole grains, energy and omega-3s.

Hawaiian Muffins
Pre-heat oven to 375 and grease or line muffin tins. Again, I have my bar pans that make perfect on-the-road, jersey pocket snacks.
In lager bowl, combine:
- 1 c gluten free flour
- 1/4 c ground flax seed
- 1/4 c gluten free oats
- 1/2 c millet flour (if you don't have millet flour, feel free to substitute another kind of gluten free flour)
- 1/4 c buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 c brown sugar

In separate bowl, combine:
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c milk
- 1/4 c canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 c pineapple juice
- 3/4 c crushed pineapple

Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir gently.
Fold in:
- 1/2 shredded coconut
- 1/2 chopped macadamia nuts

Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean. Makes 16 muffin bars or 12 large muffins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..