Blue blueberry muffins

I made the "mistake" of going to Whole Foods for flour the other day - all I needed was some more gluten free flour, cornmeal and buckwheat flour. And then I started looking - all kinds of cool flours that are whole grain and could add nutrients and flavor to my baking. So in addition to my cornmeal (splurged - got the blue corn meal) and buckwheat, I also got quinoa flour and teff flour. Now, I've cooked quinoa before and love the taste and Nick really likes the quinoa pasta we get. So that was an easy sell. But teff? Never heard of it! Turns out its a pretty common gluten free flour - just a really small grain that's hard to grind. A lot of the things I've read say it adds some of the moistness and stickiness of typical wheat flours back to baking. All I know is mixing the flours with my normal GF flour yielded very tasty, moist and soft muffins. There was a hint of nuttiness, no flava bean aftertaste and the muffins were much lighter then normal. While the recipe has all the different flours, it also works well with just one flour. I just don't like using only buckwheat - to me it had a very heavy texture and strong flavor. You can also use yellow cornmeal instead of blue. They just won't be Blue Blueberry muffins then...

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and grease or line muffing tins (I use two 8 count mini loaf trays instead of round muffins - fit in the jersy pockets better that way!)

Mix in large bowl:
1 1/2 cup blue corn meal
1/2 cup GF flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1/2 cup teff flour
(if using all one kind of flour 2 cups)
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamon
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
Pinch of salt of salt

Add to dry ingredients and mix gently:
1 tbs oil
2 eggs
2 cups milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen. Defrost frozen berries gently before adding to batter)

Fill muffin tins evenly. Bake for 20-23 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from tins and cool on wire rack. Enjoy now or freeze for later.
Blue Blueberry muffin bars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..