Halfway

Halfway through the year and halfway through the Transcendence Series. Back in February when I was getting organized for Stories, this point seemed so far away. Far enough away that I couldn't really look head towards July. I had plenty to get through before even reaching the second race -  Tommyknocker. So the focus was kept narrow - in that month and that week, without psyching myself out about what was to come. There would be plenty of time for getting psyched out later. I knew that the first half of the series was really the hardest. The scheduled races were two of the longer events and just one 50k.

A Fairplay sunset the Friday before Last Call

There was a brief moment of panic when Tommyknocker got cancelled due to weather. I had a backup race available to ensure I would get the third 50k, but really didn't want to use it. It would mean leaving things really to the last minute with no wiggle room at all. But luckily, the rescheduled date for Tommyknocker worked perfectly. Sure, instead of having to behave because I had a mountain bike race in two weeks, I had to behave because I was tired from a mountain bike race the day before! In all actuality, that was perfect training though. Nothing like two really hard events back to back to simulate what I'll see in September.

I finished Tommyknocker 12 with a solid 34 miles - just over the 50k mark I needed. Tommyknocker was the event that intrigued me the most. Utterly random - no way for me to really prepare. That alone was mentally challenging. I'm used to having the set course and being able to plan a little. Times between aid stations, distances covered, anticipated finish times. There was nothing like that at Tommyknocker - just little balls deciding my fate until I decided that I was done running. And it was a lot of fun! Instead of focusing on the course and the time, I allowed myself to focus on the event and the people around me. While I know that it was a race and the distance covered was important to some runners, as long as I got my 50k I was happy. That lack of personal expectation for placement was freeing. I could just run! I could take my black balls with a smile. I could experiment with food and drink - knowing that I had 12 hours to run 50k. If my stomach went south because of a new snack, all i had to do was back off and start hiking. I could play with my poles - practicing ups and downs, checking my stowage system for comfort and security before Last Call. All very important things to work on but things that are hard to address in a solo long run.

Runners assembling for the 6:00 AM start of Tommyknocker 12

Last Call was my goal 50 before all this started and as I wrote before the race, one of the events I was most looking forward to. A return to the 50 mile distance, the distance the nearly broke me in 2016. A chance to see if I'd really learned anything in the last three years. There's more to ultras then just the physical training. While I may have had the physical training for Sheep Moutain, I did not have the mental training. I suffered because of that. Even though you can't really compare the physical challenges between 50 mile races, the mental challenges are similar. This year? Even Nick commented on how much clearer I was during the race, how much happier I seemed.

The over-arching goal of this quest was for knowledge, breaking through the limits. Without that awareness that there should be growth over the course of the year, it's just six big races tied together.  It really is important to have that positive mindset. I've said it before - there's a huge mental component to ultra running. If you allow the mental aspect to drag you down, then it doesn't matter how good you are feeling physically. Your day is done. Part of that is staying in the moment - being aware of both mental and physical and working through things as they arise. You aren't going to be able to anticipate everything, but you can break almost anything down into simpler issues. The format for Tommyknocker was the perfect representation of that mindset. I couldn't anticipate what color ball I would draw, but I could break the day down into each loop - each ball represented a fresh start. Get some food, get some water and head out for the next adventure. I couldn't look a head and guess as to what would be waiting for me when I finished that loop, so there was no option but to stay in the moment.
This is where we get to play....
The other thing that helps when things are low mentally? Smile. I've said this before as well - your energy is reflected on the other people in the race and the volunteers. If you just smile, everything around you will be brightened. Sounds trite, but it works! You can be deep in the pain cave, struggling and suffering, but seeing a smile can make the stress lift for a bit. So can taking a moment to enjoy the surroundings. We are running and racing in some of the most beautiful areas in the world. What good is being there if you don't look up from the trail to take it in? That was the key at Last Call. Yes, I made some mistakes over the course of 54 miles. But instead of dwelling on those mistakes, I was able to refocus on where I was, the hills, the flowers and the amazing views. And then smile. Because really, I was out in the woods, doing something incredible. There were outstanding volunteers giving their time to help us - how could I be cranky with them? There was Nick, who'd kicked me out of the van and then driven to the first crew point to help me - at 3:15 in the morning - and then drove to the next point, hiked in a half mile with all my crap and waited. How could I not smile when I saw him, ready to spring into action to help with anything I needed?

So here I am, halfway finished with the Transcendence Series. I have two of the longer races finished with the Stories 30 Hour and Last Call 50. I have one of the three 50ks completed with Tommyknocker 12. What remains? Sheep Mountain 50k - a return to the beginning if you will. Strangely, I find myself temped to tackle the 50 mile again, to see if I really have learned anything in the last six months. Then the Sangre de Cristo Ultra. I have decided that I will still do the 100 mile race there. It's such a difference from Stories - and if I am to tackle any of the dream races I am eyeing, I need the classic Colorado 100 mile experience. Besides, what better way to discover my true potential then in the wilderness setting that is the Rainbow Trail? And finally, I changed it up to do the Indian Creek 55k instead of the Sawmill race. No sense in waiting till the last minute to finish! And fittingly, since this was my change of decade birthday adventure, the remaining races will be after my birthday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..