Return to Sheep Mountain

Saturday I step to the line of the fourth race in the Transcendence series. This is also a return to my first 50 mile race, a day that nearly broke me. I remember climbing up Round Hill, wondering why I was moving so slowly until I turned around to see the trail falling away behind me. I remember reading the pre-race emails, with John’s warning about the 8.5 miles between Pasture and Horseshoe being a long, slow slog and laughing. Surely he couldn’t be serious about how slow that section was! And then when I was struggling on that seemingly unending climb, watching my goal time slip away I couldn’t believe how long it was taking to just hike two miles. I wasn't ready for that day, mentally. 

Looking up at Sheep Moutanin
I return to Sheep Mountain, to where this whole thing really started. I will once again climb into the wind atop Sheep Mountain, surrounded by the views of the Mosquito Range and South Park. I will take on that long, slow slog between Pasture and Horseshoe - hoping to banish the demons from 2016. I was tempted to step up to the 50 mile and really put to the test everything I’ve learned so far. But one of the things I’ve learned is that less is more sometimes and just because I can do the 50 mile, doesn’t mean I should. So instead of the 50 mile, with the plunge off Brown’s Pass to the flowing singletrack of Sheep Creek Trail and then the heart breaking climb up Round Hill, I will be turning left to drop directly to Pasture. That doesn’t mean it will be any easier of a day - because it is shorter, that means I have more expectations upon myself. I want to tackle that 8.5 miles and enjoy it, while going faster then before. And then the final miles returning to Fairplay Town Beach - I want to be strong covering those miles

Trying to make running look easy on the return to Fairplay back in 2016


In some ways, I’m looking forward to this return. Sheep Mountain showed me the possibilities surrounding trail running. It was the spark I needed to return to running - but that spark needed some time to grow into a fire. I will nurture that spark while I’m running through the Fairplay suburbs, waiting for that first glimpse of Sheep Mountain. It was awe inspiring back in 2016 and I’m sure that it will be just as inspiring this year. I will take the time to enjoy the views as I traverse Sheep Mountain before the descent into Brown’s Pass. There is a lot to take in along the 31 miles I will be covering on Saturday. Unlike in 2016, I plan on taking it in - there is more to the race then the time as I’ve learned over the past few months. The community is just as important - that is source of the spark that keeps us going. This time I will embrace the community and allow the spark to grow into a flame. I will need that flame come September.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..