Lessons from Last Call

As with any event, I always like taking a step back and looking at what I learned. It's important to do, especially with the longer events, so you don't make the same mistakes twice. There's a lot to take in during a race that lasts 10+ hours and there's always that "aha" moment that you want to remember for the next times. Last Call was no different - the unusual start time just changed the focus of the race from managing heat to dealing with dark and cold.

Don't second guess.
There were a few times after I'd left the Poor Man's Gulch aid station and headed out into the hills that I debated changing socks. I mentioned in my race report that the soles of my feet were really painful when I finished, but I didn't mentioning walking more then I wanted in the last three miles because of the pain. Had I put dry socks on after the river crossing, the maceration that was starting to develop might have been avoided. I was carrying around the socks - I should have just changed. Even when I hit High Park for the second time, I was second guessing keeping the knee socks on because of various hot spots that were developing. At that point, I was running scared, so didn't want to take the time to change. I do think I would have run faster and would have been much more comfortable had I changed. With this being a 50 miler, I could get away with that mistake. I will not be able to get away with something like that for anything longer. Go with the first instinct.

Permission to hike.
At my first 50 mile race, I knew I needed to hike the steeper hills. But giving myself permission to hike was hard. When I slowed to a hike, it was mentally hard to accept. I was in a race, I should be running! But running wasn’t efficient given the steepness of some of the hills. This time? I gave myself permission to hike - but it had to be hiking with a purpose. Yes, I could slow and look around, but forward momentum was key. That was all I needed to stay out of my head - knowing that while it was a race, hiking was faster then running. I was content with the hiking, motoring along as smoothly as I could and staying positive.

Stay positive.
Things can go sideways over the course of 12+ hours. There’s two ways of dealing with that - freaking out and letting affect the day or staying positive and adjusting the plan. On some of the other long races I’ve done, I’ve let the negative talk affect me mentally. This time when I didn’t hit the times I’d anticipated, I shrugged it off and just added the extra time to the plan. There were a few sections where I had been a little too optimistic about how long it would take, but instead of freaking out - I accepted where I was at the moment, The plan would shift based the actual time. Again, not being rigid with the times and staying positive throughout the day helped with staying out of my head.

There were more things - but those are the ones that stuck with me. The key with any ultra really is forward momentum - as long you can maintain forward momentum, you are moving towards the finish. Go with the first instinct out on course if you are questioning things. Even though it’s a race, hiking can be quicker and more efficient so accept that and give yourself permission to hike with a purpose. And no matter what happens, stay positive! Smile and find the positive regardless what is going on. It’s hard to stay negative with a smile on your face, and your smile will brighten up everyone around you. And most important - have fun! That’s why we are out there - for a long day in the woods with some new friends. How can you not have fun?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..