Transcendence

Most people do crazy stuff when they turn 40 - the classic midlife crisis type affair. There's buying a snazzy new car (does a 4WD Mercedes Sprinter count? I see one of those in our future!) There's getting new toys (that 2019 Stumpjumper ST is calling my name...) Some people get tattoos to celebrate things (not ruling a new one out!) But us? We do things a little differently in the Thelen household. For Nick's 40th, it was getting discharged from the hospital with a brand new scar and a new lease on life - literally.

2016 Sheep Mountain 50
Photo - Sherpa John

I've hinted a few times on FB about my 40th trip around the sun celebration. Not a huge party - not my style. Instead, the search for the limits of my potential - going beyond the limits of ordinary experience. It's going to be a full year's journey, each step leading to the next challenge. And it started out as a dream - a goal I didn't ever dare talk about. After the Sheep Mountain 50 in 2016, I was wrecked. It was the hardest thing I'd done to that point. Yet, I found myself alternating between never again and I'm not ever going longer to what could be? Could I dig deep enough to go further - to 100k or beyond? Those questions may have been answered either 2017 or this year if not for my eye last year. And so I find myself looking at 2019 and finally believing that yes - I can dare to dream of Transcendence. Reaching past the limits I've placed on myself through accomplishing the extraordinary.

And what is that? The Human Potenital Running Series Transcendence Series. Six Races across 2019. One 100 mile race. One 100k race. One 50 mile race. Three 50k races. One huge challenge that thrills me every time I think about it - yet terrifies me to the core. Can I do this?

I'm totally blaming Sherpa John for this crazy idea. At first, I was planning on the Adversity Cup - a chose your own adventure of his races. Pick three different races, different distance and finish the Adversity Cup. I was already doing two of the three - the Last Call 50m and the Sangre de Cristo 100k. Add in one more and I would have the Explorer division finish. Then John added a 100m option to Sangre de Cristo. And while other 100m races have sounded interesting, that called to me. The trail, the wilderness, the environment. The challenge was there and that was the one I wanted to do. The K was changed to an M in my planning. I messaged John and asked how that would work with the Adversity Cup. His response? It's going to be part of the Transcendence Series....  Of course I had to look at that. I printed out the description and pondered it. I sent Nick an email. I scribbled notes on how I could make it work. I pondered some more. I wrote up an email to John with my plan and sat on it. I talked with Nick some more, reviewing the schedule for 2019. I could do it - I would have to drop a few other running races I wanted to do. But that was the corporate approval I needed. I looked at my plan again - on paper perfectly doable. And then I committed. I sent the email to John, telling him I was In.

Stories Ultra - 100k 
Tommy Knocker 12 - 50k 
Last Call 50m
Sheep Mountain 50k
Sangre de Cristo 100m
Sawmill 55k

From February thru to December. An entire year's worth of challenge. The last time someone finished was back in 2015. It was a little harder then I think - 5 races, one 100m, one 100k, two 50m races and a marathon. Only one women has finished. Do I dare to think I can be the second?
The best moments are the ones that come when we are challenged. Seeking the ultimate challenge this year!

Comments

  1. That sounds like an awesome challenge! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..