Doughnuts or trying some junk food

I have never made doughnuts in my life. I've never even made something that required frying before. So in my overly antsy pre-race taper mode, I some how decided that I would try to make some doughnuts for Nick today. He hasn't had a doughnut since he went gluten free and has at times talked about missing eating them. It's not like we had them that regularly, but when driving up the pass to points west, we'd always stop at the Doughnut Mill in Woodland Park and get some treats. Mmmm - those were tasty! So I took a recipe that I had and modified it a little for the gluten free. For a first attempt, they turned out pretty good - Nick really liked them so that goal was accomplished. I did notice a few things though while working on the recipe. I did mix and need the dough a little too much. While Nick likes his doughnuts dense and doughy, for most people I think it would be a little heavy. So when getting them ready to cut out, be gentle with the dough. That should maintain the lightness and not leave the doughnuts heavy. I also uses a very small pot to fry the doughnuts in - I didn't want to waste that much oil. It worked well, but I could only make one at a time. I also didn't change the oil during the cooking process. If I was making a larger batch, I think I would want to use fresh oil about halfway through. If you do try this recipe and have some suggestions, please leave them in the comments - I appreciate the feedback!

In a large bowl, Mix:
3 cups gluten free flour (I use Bob's Red Mill baking flour)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cardamon
(you can adjust the spices as you prefer - more or less of anything will work)

In a separate bowl, combine:
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
1 egg
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla

Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients - making sure it's evenly combined and there are no lumps. When the dough is nearly mixed, turn it out onto a floured counter and very gently knead to finish mixing. DO NOT OVER KNEAD. Allow dough to sit for 10 minutes. While dough is resting, start heating canola oil in small pot - it should get very hot. I used 2" of oil in the pot. Roll out the dough to about 1/2". Cut the doughnuts out (I used a small bowl for the large circle and a sake glass for the hole - improvising!). I also made doughnut holes out of the left overs and the centers. Gently place the doughnuts in the hot oil and cook for a few minutes, then flip for even cooking. Don't let them fall to the bottom and stick! Once the doughnut is cooked, remove to plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil. Repeat with the remaining doughnuts.

I rolled mine in granulated sugar, but you could also dust with powered sugar or make a glaze. Here is a lemon glaze to try:
Mix:
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 c warm water.
If the glaze is too think, add a little more water - gradually until desired consistency. If it is too thin, add more powdered sugar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..