Simple Oat Scones

I had a recipe for simple scones that I was going to make for snacking on this weekend. Well, I decided that I wanted something with a little more staying power and a little more energy. I like oats and have found that anything made with oats tends to be more filling. So just as I was cutting in the butter, I decided I wanted to add oats to my simple scones. Did I bother measuring? Nope - just threw in a few handfuls! But with the addition of the oats, that meant I also need to adjust the liquid content - so I added some milk to the yogurt/egg mixture. And it turned out really good - lighter then expected with the oats, fluffy and yummy. Of course, adding the chocolate chips helped with that - and so did eating them right out of the oven, with the chocolate all melty....

Pre-heat oven to 425 and grease two baking sheets

In a large bowl, combine:
2 c Gluten free flour (any combo of flour works - I used 1 1/2 Bobs Red Mill and 1/2 quinoa)
1 c Gluten free oats
1/4 tsp Xanthan gum
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbs sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2  tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cardamon

Cut in with pastry knife or two forks
5 tbs chilled butter

Add:
1 finely chopped apple
Chocolate Chips (as many as you want...)

In another bowl, combine
1 c plain greek yogurt (I used Fage 0%)
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk (reserve white for topping)
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla

Add liquids to flour mixture and mix until evenly moistened. Do not over handle dough. If dough is very dry, add more milk, 1 tbs at a time until easy to work with and moist.

Drop dough onto baking sheets, making 12 evenly sized scones
Brush tops with beaten egg white
sprinkle sugar and cinnamon to taste on tops

Bake for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Removed from oven and serve warm if possible.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..