National Novel Writing Month

I did something new this November - it's called National Novel Writing Month and the challenge is to write a novel of 50,000+ words over the month. That's about 1677 words per day - a lot of words! Well, I have a book I've been working on since PT school - it's been sitting there, neglected because I just haven't made the time to write. This was a good incentive - support and other people all working towards the same goals. Because I was working on something already started, I was a "rebel." It's supposed to be a completely new work, with nothing written prior to Nov 1. Oh well. I didn't think I'd actually make it anyway, between work and travel  and training, I didn't have a lot of time!

So it was quite surprising when my word count topped 50k before Thanksgiving. I'd had a few marathons days, but mostly just made a point of sitting down daily and putting words to paper (or to keyboard to computer.) Some days it was harder then others and getting distracted was easy. Some days the words flowed and I got entire scenes written without issues. But no matter, it was finding the time to write that mattered. Because I had a goal, I made an effort to write daily. I got into a great habit of sitting down every morning and working without getting distracted. It was also a lot of fun. I was making progress with my book which after 10 years, also needed some revising! My goal for trying this challenge was to settle into a habit of writing some every day. 

And now it's December 5th and I will admit to not having written a word since last Saturday. I feel guilty about that, like I've abandoned my characters again. So after this short mental health break, it's back to writing. Maybe not with as much vigor, but for at least 30 min a day. That's my goal!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..