Return to the Hills

Last year, the Garden of the Gods 10k was one of those FOMO things. Everyone was racing! I wanted to join the fun - even if it was the shorter distance. This year? The race was planned and I even made the effort to go to the Garden to get a few training runs done. After all, it's not every year you get the chance to defend a win! I have a hard time actually tapering for these kinds of things though - riding for about 2 hours in heat on Saturday with friends definitely counts as a taper, right? I know full well that I'd have a much better performance if I really tapered and came into the race rested. But at least I didn't run to the summit of Mount Rosa the Wednesday before the race this year!

Anyway, after the 80s of Saturday, I was looking forward to the cold front that was supposed to blow in Saturday night. I really didn't feel like dealing with the heat for a hard race. With the expected high forecast as mid 60s, it was looking like perfect running weather - nice and cool in the morning, but not windy or wet out. That was the forecast. What we all woke up too was much different. Thick clouds covered the horizon. Wind gusted through the trees around my house. The temperature was 35* and not showing many indications that it was going to get warmer. Hummm. Good thing I was running the 10k! Easy to dress for that distance - just wear as little as possible, add in gloves and a headband and time to race. As long as I have warm clothes for before and after, I can still get away with running in just skirt and singlet for that short a time. This time, I made sure I had my puffy coat in the car for after the race. While it was supposed to warm up more, I wasn't taking a chance with waiting around afterwards.

This time, I felt like I got the warm up right. A quick stop to take group photo with some friends before the 10m start, a few trips to the portapotties and my legs were feeling pretty good. Good enough to run faster then last year? It would be time to find out. I dropped my warm clothes at the car, changed shoes and hustled to the race start. At least in the crowd, there would be some protection from the wind! I didn't feel any guilt worming my way to the start line this year. I wanted to be on that line - to be able to see the race around me. Again, the feeling of dread staring up at the hill, knowing it was just the start of the unending hills of the Garden of the Gods. But this year, I knew the hills. I'd trained in the Garden, worked on my hills and my turnover for the downhills. As with any race, it also depends on who shows up. The woman who'd gotten second last year was also on the line with me, looking much more determined then last year.

Then the gun. Time for thinking was over. Time for running. I put the pressure on right away from the start, moving into the lead on the first hill. Caroline caught me as we started the second hill up to the high point, moving much smoother then last year. I wanted to go with her, but didn't want to burn that many matches in the first mile. Was I watching the race get away from me so quickly into the day? As the hill got steeper she started slowing down. I was able to make the catch and take the lead just before we crested the high point. I didn't get the gap I wanted though - I could hear footsteps and breathing behind me. Was it her or one of the guys? I wasn't going to look. Just focus on moving forward and maintaining the pace. Onto one of the few level spots on the course and Caroline again moved into the lead. This time I wasn't able to answer as we started plunging downhill. This was unusual - I was being out run on the downhill! We merged with the 10 mile runners, but I kept my eyes on Caroline. I wanted to keep her in sight, which became more challenging as we wove in and out of the 10 mile runners. I did the same as last year, parking on the yellow line which provided me the clearest line. Might not have been able to use tangents to my advantaged, but that was better then slowing down, speeding up and dodging other runners. At least until the first water station! Then it got a little crazy for about 15 seconds. I was was able to get through cleanly thankfully. Caroline was still just ahead of me, but edging further away with each downhill and level section. I'd bring her back a little on on the climbs, but lose it again once the terrain changed. Gah!

Flying down the final hill
Photo - Shae Comstock
One thing with the 10k is the lack of mile markers. Outside the first mile, the markers are in place for the 10m race. That just meant that I wasn't able to look at my watch and get freaked out by how fast - or how slow - I was running. I didn't remember my splits from last year and really had no clue if I was running slower or faster. I just kept pushing the pace, trying my hardest to catch up to Caroline. At the top of the steepest hill, when we turned back onto the central Garden Loop, she stopped to walk for a few feet. So close, so close! But by the time I turned onto the downhill, the gap had already grown. I was running out of miles and feeling the lack of flat speed training. I could still get the turnover going, but it was a struggle. I didn't feel smooth running of fluid. I could drive up the hills easily, but the quick speed on the downhill just wasn't there. As we made the right turn onto the entrance road, I took a quick glance behind. There was no one in sight. I pondered backing off for a little, but that didn't last long. One of the 10m women was right with me. Pride took over a little - I wasn't going to let the 10 mile runners catch and pass me in the last mile! So I found a little extra, keeping the speed as high as I could. Along the parking, into the Rock Ledge Range. This time I knew the finish loop was a little longer and there was the one little hill. As I was cresting the hill, I could hear them announcing Caroline finishing. That last stretch seemed to task forever - and looking at the photos, I was definitely NOT smiling! But when I rounded the bend and was able to see the finish clock, the reason it felt so hard was clear. Last year, I'd run 44:48 - this year, the clock had just ticked over into the low 43:00s... Over a minute faster then last year - 10 seconds per mile in a 10k is huge! I finished in 43:32, one of my faster 10ks in a while. On the flat ADT 10k, a few years ago, I'd run 42:31. To be able to be within a minute of that time on the Garden course? Worth it! Sure, I hadn't been able to defend and I'd lost my course record from last year. But still...

10k Women's Podium
Caroline Karunde - 1st
Me - 2nd
Una Broderick - 3rd
Bart Yasso

Even better? Despite the cold, there were people hanging out in the festival after the race. I joined the party after part of my cooldown - after having gotten my warm pants and puffy coat. Yes, it was cold enough for the puffy coat!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..