First loser?

When I was in college, working on my psychology degree I read a 1995 study on how Silver medalists were often the most disappointed person on the podium. They are doing an upwards comparison towards the person on the top step, while bronze medalist is doing a downward comparison of everyone one else. In other words, second place is looking at first, going “what if I’d done this or if that had happened?” while third place is standing on the smallest box, thinking “I beat everyone else for this last award!” Third is ecstatic to be standing on the box, getting the medal. Second is stuck in the middle - happy to have won something, but feeling so close to having won everything. I thought it was an interesting study, but never really paid much more attention as I transitioned into different phases of my life.

Looking out over the sea of sage, the riders on the road and the mountains of CB in the background
For some reason, standing on podium at the Original Growler brought back the idea of the study. I found myself having all those conversations in my mind. I’d placed second - the highest I’ve ever placed at Growler. Yet there I was, thinking that if I’d trained harder on the bike, maybe I could have gotten those 4 minutes I needed. Maybe I stopped too long at the aid stations and there’s where I lost the time. I should have done more technical riding and intervals so I had the strength and the fitness needed to make up the lost time. I was definitely doing an upward comparison instead of being happy with being on the podium. In contrast, in 2017 when I got third I was ecstatic. Finally! On the podium. The two photos also show the contrast in mentality. Granted, 2017 was a lovely day for the awards and everyone hung out for the party. This year was a little chillier. Not too many people stuck around and the temperature dropped throughout the awards ceremony. That was part of the difference between the photos. But there was more then just the weather.

But what is it really? That psychological difference between second and third? Is it really a thing? Yes - it’s called counterfactual thinking and it’s actually been studied more then I realized. It means thinking about alternative possibilities for past or future events - what might happen or might have happen. It’s imagining the consequences of something is contrary to what actually happened. That classic if I’d trained harder I could have won thinking. There’s both good and bad to conterfactual thinking. It opens you up to looking at events from different perspectives which can boost creativity and change paths in future. But... While there’s nothing wrong with those “what ifs” and taking the time to ponder the events, but you have to let go of those thoughts at some time. Learn from the experience and use it to grow, but don’t dwell in the past. What is done is done. Pouting on the podium won’t help you get faster for next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..