Transcendence - update

It's been almost a month since Stories Ultra. Physically, I think I'm recovered and ready to go again. Mentally? There's still a lot to ponder here. I really never anticipated going for the 100m distance at Stories. Everything was planned out around me stopping at the 100k mark. And while I'm really happy everything came together and I was able to hit that dream goal, believe it or not, I'm a little unsure of myself now. I know that is part of the process - the Transcendence Series is supposed to be more then just racing and ticking the boxes off one by one. There's supposed to be a challenge and times where the challenge is just as much mental as physical. It's surprising that I would be facing that uncertainty after the first race, and after a race that went far better then I imagined. I should be feeling confident that I'll be able to complete the next five races. I don't need another 100 mile race - the hardest distance has been completed. All I have left is the 3 50ks, the 50 mile and the 100k race.

The return to CMSP a month after Stories - such a change in the conditions!
The next race is Tommy Knocker 12 - another timed race. I'll behave here, and just go for the 50k, with some bonus miles of course! I don't want to get back down and discover that according to the official tally, I'm short the distance. That would be devastating. But I have to behave, since Tommy is just two weeks before the Growler. So there will be some running, there will be some heckling and generally having fun will covering my miles. After Tommy, it's the 50 mile race. Last Call. I'm really looking forward to that race - between the midnight start and the shared course with Silverheels, I wanted to do it last year. I love running at night and being up in the woods under the stars. In August, it's the return to Sheep Mountain, but this time for the 50k. There was the brief moment where I pondered the 50m again for some redemption on that course. But I need to be smart, not overdo things just because they are there. The 50k at Sheep Mountain will be challenging enough. Then comes September. Technically, I could drop down to the 100k distance at Sangre de Cristo now and eliminate a lot of uncertainty. There's no guarantees when it comes to trail running, especially as the distances add up. I don't need to do another 100 mile race if I don't want to.

Running into the storm of uncertainty
But...

I wasn't supposed to do 100 at Stories. I always planned that my 100 mile race - perhaps my only 100 mile race - would be on the Rainbow Trail. The true challenge of solitary trail running for my first 100, with the full uncertainty that such a distance deserves. And then... It was all so perfect that weekend in February - well, except for the mud! Despite what most people would call minimal training, I felt great. I was able to just keep going for the entire time. That actually makes me more nervous for September. The two races are as far apart on the spectrum as possible. There was support with my full, awesome crew anywhere from 3 to 7.5 miles. I had all my gear with me - more gear then I really needed, but enough to keep me moving if things had gotten crazy with weather. I had more food then I needed and was able to get fresh, warm food so frequently. If my shoes were bothering my feet, I could change them within a few miles. Sangre? That will be a true wilderness race. There's minimal crew points (3!) - at miles 8.8, 52.1, and 95.5. Yes, that's 40 miles between when crew can help. There's no drop bags further out on the course, so if I think I want something, I have to carry it. Yes, there's plenty of Aid Stations and they are at very regular intervals. I know HPRS races, and I know they will be well stocked. But the distances between help... Huge. The other difference is the course. Stories had minimal (for a Colorado Ultra) elevation gain. Now, I'm not sure if that makes things harder or easier, since running the early miles was much more tempting and the running was much faster. But even the 100k at ScD has more elevation gain the covering 100 miles on the Stories loop. Will I be able to reclaim the magic of Stories for my time under the Rainbow?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..