2018 Reflections

Wow. Closing out 2018 and it's been an interesting year. There's been a lot of challenges that we had to work through, a few firsts - both in good and bad ways, and plenty of adventure. I can't say I'm sad to see 2018 go...  But before that, in no particular order, are some of the highlights and lessons from the year.

A new year is like the dawn of a new day - full of potential

Best New Race
Hands down, the Sangre de Cristo Ultra. This was kind of a whim race - I headed down for a supported long run on some new trails. And I came away with a rekindled love for running in the mountains. There is something to be said about a simple course, minimal marking for a truly wilderness feel and being able to camp at the race start. It was truly one of the most enjoyable races I've done, surrounded with amazing scenery and other like minded runners.

Follow the rainbow trail -  spectacular views around every bend

Most Important Racing Lesson
Stay in the moment. If you aren't mentally ready to race or even participate, then don't. I found that out the hard way when I had my first DNF at the Cheyenne Mountain Trail Race. One wrong step while not in the moment and I was done - hobbling the walk of shame back to the car. I wasn't focused on the race and distracted by other stresses in life and paid the price.

Craziest Adventure on a Bike
As usual, it all looked so simple on the map. But the maps don't tell the full story. This adventure involved several hours of HAB to avoid two moose (you don't want to mess with a bull and a cow during mating season...) and then an intermittent on again, lost again trail. While we were never lost on our Little Cochetopa Creek exploration ride, there were some times I was questioning our sanity while pushing through aspen thickets. There's potential for a loop, and we got to finish with Green Creek, but that was seriously the slowest 4 miles I have ever traveled!

Moose!!

Most Fun Whim Race
There were a lot of them this year. I did plenty of jumping into races the week of because it seemed like a good idea at the time. But the most fun was really the Bear Bait 8 up in Casper. We were at the end of a two week vacation with family reunion in the middle. Nick had just started riding his mountain bike on trails that week. We weren't prepared to race at all, with none of our usual racing set up. And yet, we decided three hours before registration closed that we'd do the race. Why not?  Why not indeed - and we ended up having a great time on some new trails.


Nick finishing out lap 10 for Team Alien Baby

Scariest Text Ever...
Any time your husband texts you he can't take the stomach pain anymore and he's going to the urgent care is not a good time. Urgent care turned to ER and ER turned into emergency surgery with an 8 day hospital stay. We are lucky - while Nick wasn't able to race the Growler in 2018, he's still here!

Best Surprise
Not for me, but for my dad. The look on his face when I strolled out of the airport in the beginning of December was worth all the travel stresses. The fact that I was able to squeeze in a fun race while I was there was a bonus. The Half and Half Marathon was a unique concept with the half trail, half road format and really well organized. While I might not make it out next year, it's definitely one to repeat.
Winning the Half and Half Marathon

Longest Time Spent in the Van
In June, we packed up the van for nearly two weeks in the midwest. Nick's mother's family was having a reunion and any time you get all ten Isaccsons together is bound to be a good time. Plenty of fun was had, from the bigfoot hunt to clay shooting and all kinds of laughs in between. Of course, on the trip, we made time for exploring. We ran in Kansas, rode in Kansas City. We found some red dirt and some classic MN ski slope riding. To top it off, we finished with a race!

Nick's family

Greatest Change
For me, that is the returning to my roots as a runner. I've been focusing on the mountain bike, with a few longer races thrown in for the past few years. This was no different, with my name in the hat for another go at Vapor Trail 125. Then the rocks came tumbling down and Vapor was canceled - perhaps indefinitely. But change is the only constant in the world and as one door closed, another opened. This time into the world of ultras. I knew after my 50 mile race in 2016 I wanted to go longer. I discovered where I wanted that race to be - Sangre de Cristo. One thing led to another and now I am fully committed to running for next year.

Racing the Sunset while blending in with the sky - loving my new Skirt Sports for all the upcoming adventures on foot

Smartest Race Choice
Not doing the 50 Mile at the Dead Horse Ultra! I thought about it, but decided that running 50k on the hard slickrock would be the smartest choice. I'm so happy I did - I love that kind of running, but the trails out there are much more fun on wheels.
Moab running - almost as fun as Moab riding




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..