Of Costumes and Snowstorms

At the end of the second Fall Series race, I was in second place in the series and looking forward to the last two races. I love running at both Ute Valley and Palmer Park - the tricky trails and challenging courses are really my favorites. I knew that it would be a challenge to try to make up the time between me and Kaylen, but was hoping with the technical running I would be able to make it happen. After all, 10 years ago, I won not only the series overall, but three of the races overall.

The Sunday of the third race dawned bright and warm for the end of October. As it was the Sunday before Halloween, tradition dictated that runners wear costumes. I wasn't one to turn down the chance to wear a costume - but needed to make sure it was something I could easily run in. Hippy dress seemed to be the best option and I knew right where to get one!

Because when you are running in a hippy dress, you just have to be happy!
Photo Peter Maksimow

At the start, there weren't as many costumes as in years past. Granted, back in 2008, you got a time bonus for wearing a costume, but still! You gotta have a little fun with things some times. I did feel a little self conscious in the dress. So short, so so short... But not any shorter then my skirts or shorts, just a little looser! After the lap and a half around the track, the self consciousnesses was gone. Time to run. I took advantage of the gradual climb up the sidewalk to work into the lead, but it wasn't by much. Both Kaylen and Haley were right behind me. The racing was on....

I held the lead across the main north-south trail, but could feel them behind me and could hear the volunteers cheering. So much for gaining ground on the easier trails! I knew the last half of the race was the most technical, but had hoped for a bit of a gap before entering the west ridge. Not going to happen.
Power hiking up one of the rocky climbs. 

After we dropped down into the center of the park, Haley surged ahead on one the short climbs. I was able to catch her back on the next descent/traverse, but the gauntlet had been thrown. We matched each other for the next few minutes, but she eventually charged up one of the steeper rock climbs that I stopped to walk. I was able to bring the gap down a little before the water station, but not enough. Now it was time mitigation to first and trying to gain time on second. I couldn't focus on Haley and run the technical stuff and at some point she disappeared from view. I figured I'd see her again in one of the open sections of the course, but no such luck. She was gone. In the time it took me to run the about half the west ridge, there was no sight of her again.

Eyes on the trail!
Photo Nancy Hobbs

But that didn't answer the question of how much time I had on Kaylen. I needed 34 seconds to overtake her in the standing and hold onto my 2nd place in the series. It was pretty clear that Haley would move back into first after this race. I dug deep, really trying to push the pace. I knew the gap had opened up, but wasn't sure by how much. And there really wasn't much time to look around on the technical terrain. This was the first race where Larry had brought out the Pink Cast and I didn't want to end up with it!

In the end, I didn't quite dig deep enough. As expected Haley took over the lead by a commanding margin and I slipped into third - only seven seconds behind!

Some time between Sunday November 4th and Wednesday November 7th, the forecast for Sunday the 11th took a 180* nose dive right into the cellar. A repeat of FS2 looked like it was highly probable. Except instead of the wide open trails of Bear Creek, we would be facing the technical rocks of Palmer Park.... Saturday - sunny and warm with perfect conditions. We went out riding for a short bit, enjoying the dry trails. To the north though, the clouds lurked. Throughout the day on Saturday, the clouds inched ever further south, with the temperature dropping and the moisture building in the air. But this is Colorado - there is always a chance the weatherman is wrong, right? Sunday morning, I woke up to cold temperatures and dry ground. No snow! I'm sure the hearts of 400 runners skipped a beat - maybe we would get lucky and just have cold?

Nope. As I puttered around getting breakfast organized, the snow started falling. And kept falling. The inches started adding up quickly! So much for a fast race and a test of my shoes for Moab... Time for plan B for clothes as well as the temperature was still falling as quickly as the snow. I opted for a little different this time - still wearing my tights with my Skirt Sports Hover Skirt (first one I got - a little big, so it fits perfectly over tights to add the extra layer of warmth), but this time just one long sleeved shirt and then my Gore Shake Dry. It was a little windy and the gore would be the perfect layer to protect me from the wind. And of course, my FH Beerworks team shirt!

Go time!
As the snow kept coming down, my goal shifted from try to make up time to just stay upright and not do anything stupid. As a result, I may have started out a little easier then I should have. We ran up the road ala Rescue Run and I wasn't super motivated to push the pace there at all. Since that was the only spot on the course where the traction was good, in hindsight, I should have. Getting a little further ahead sooner would have prevented some of the conga line issues I encountered on Templeton and allowed me to actually make any moves stick. Oh well...

As we climbed up Templeton, I was in third, with Kaylen in the lead. I moved around second when the trail leveled out, but was a little further back from Kaylen then I wanted. And there were a lot of guys between us... If I'd been younger, I would have blasted around them, bouncing of the snowy rocks and flying around corners. But that was then and with a little age, I've mellowed out. Taking my time to pass and staying upright was much more important then gaining time! I did manage to move around Kaylen just before then end of Templeton, but I had a feeling I'd waited too long. But more importantly, I was having a blast. Sure, the racing was slower and the terrain much more challenging. But the fun factor was through the roof! Adults, running around like kids playing in the snow. Forget about speed, forget about the bib number. In those kind of conditions, thinking about the race can only lead to slipping and falling. 

Oh yeah, I'm having a blast! Much more then the guy behind me...
Photo Peter Maksimow

But I still did have to pay attention to the race. Seven seconds isn't that much and we both knew it. Kaylen was killing herself staying on my tail for the middle part of the race. Every time I looked around, I could see her behind me. It never felt like more then 7 seconds, either. I wasn't sure where Haley was either, since she'd been right behind us on the climb to Templeton. Finally, when we crossed the road to enter Kininkinnick, Kaylen made her move. She charged up the hill, passing me on the road. I stayed right on her tail as we dropped down, but the trail was starting to get really slick and I was starting to slip a little more then I liked. After I almost slid out going around one of the corners, I decided to just chill out. Not worth getting injured over just a local race like this.

Sill having fun!
Photo Tim Bergsten

At the finish, I'd lost time to Kaylen and gained some time on Haley. Not enough to move back into second place, so third place would have to do. Not bad really if you think that the last time I'd run the full series was 10 years ago! Moving from first to third in 10 years while racing against women 16 and 10 years younger then me!

Final Results:
Haley Williamson - 2:59:07
Kaylen Adragna - 2:59:59
Me - 3:00:51


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..