Dead Horse Ultra

My first experience with ultra running in Moab. I'll admit, I love short runs in Moab - the thinking running that the technical singletrack provides just makes me happy. I knew when I signed up for this race that it would be different then any other ultra I've run. It might have the fastest course with the least elevation gain, but that would be offset by the nature of the trails. I've ridden every part of the course except for the road into and out of the trail system - the stem of the lollipop. So I knew when I started really focusing my training for Dead Horse that I had to do a lot of concrete running with plenty of excursions into Palmer Park and Ute Valley. I had to be ready for the hard surfaces and the whole body effort that that kind of running entails. Too bad I kept getting distracted from focused training....

As I mentioned before, this trip to Moab was originally a get-away for Mom and I. She was doing the 30k, I was doing the 50k. We'd ride and run and have a fun little trip. Then things changed. Nick had his surgery and all our spring camping trips got canceled. Vapor Trail 125 got canceled. The first one meant that we decided that Nick could come, ride his bike while we were running/riding and kinda tag along on the trip. The second had me pondering doing the 50m instead of the 50k... It was some serious pondering. At that time, I was looking at a 100m running race that required a 50m finish in the last two years to enter, which I didn't have. I strongly considered jumping up to the 50m at Dead Horse so I would have my qualifying race. Without Vapor, I would be able to train for a 50m and have a good race in Moab. Nick (wisely) talked me out of the 50m in Moab. We were going there for vacation and fun as well as the race. If I was doing the 50m, I wouldn't want to do much before the race and I would be way to tired after the race. Add in the effects of running that far on slick rock... I would be smarter to run the 50k as planned and then decide if I wanted to run further on that kind of terrain. I could run a 50m later to qualify if I wanted.

Race morning - darker then anticipated with cold temperatures. I debated shorts vs knickers multiple times prior to starting, finally going with shorts, but leaving my wind jacket on. At the start, I felt off. I didn't know what it was, but the fluidity and joy of running I'd felt while up on Ahab Thursday was gone. Instead I was stiff and unmotivated. Not the best feeling prior to a big race! Oh well. Even now, every race is still a learning experiance. While I knew the single track coming up, I knew nothing about the road. Given that, I hadn't bothered with a chart or plan. I was there to run. Nothing more, nothing less. As we started up the the first climb, I had to stay out of my head as several women passed me, running strong on the road. It was just the beginning of the race. Even after years of running, I still get into my head and start tearing myself down when I'm not running up to the level I think I should be. You'd think I'd know better by now...

As we decended into the valley below the Mag 7 trails, I was in fourth place, running comfortably along side third place. I could see the two women ahead of me, so just settled into the pace. This was the part of the race I didn't know - the road. And after the climb up, there was just as ugly a descnt down. I remember thinking that the climb would be painful at the end of the day... Pretty quickly we got to the first aid station. It was still chilly and I hadn't been drinking that much yet so really didnt need anything. I did want to take my jacket off though. The sun was starting to finally peek above the mesa. Lucky for me, there was a monster climb up from the aid station to the mesa! Perfect to power hike, take my jacket off and stuff it in my pack. I lost some time hiking as the two women in front of me both opted to run. But that was fine - it was too early to start racing. Still time for just running. I’d already decided that I would assess how I felt at mile 20 and decide if it was time to race or just finish. That was about the only plan I had throughout the race - stay in the moment and the mile I was in. Don’t think any further then the next mile.

Finally, we turned onto single track. Yay! Off the road and onto the fun stuff. I didn’t know first chunk of trail - when Nick and I had ridden Mag 7 last year, we’d decided to ride Great Escape instead of Arth’s Pasture. And while Arth’s was super fun running, we made the right choice for riding. One thing I didn’t like was how stiff I was. I wasn’t my normal fluid self on the rocky trail. My stride was choppy and I was searching for foot steps instead of just running. Not a good sign for the later miles. Soon enough, we hit the second aid station. This one had a slight in and out to get too it, and I was able to check in with all three women in front of me. They were all pretty close together and I was just behind. That was a good feeling, being almost in contact with the top three. I just needed to keep running smart. I didn’t need anything at the second aid station and just checked in and out. Back to singletrack. And on trails I knew - Getaway. We were starting to catch the 50m runners now, and I made sure to cheer each and everyone of them. They had a long way to go and a little encouragement can mean a lot. I was looking for one specific runner as well - another COS local. Lynne runs for the Smiling Toad, so when I finally caught here, the only thing I could think of to do was ribbit! Ribbit!! Hopefully the sentiment was appreciated.

At the third aid station, I had to get some water and a little food. That aid station was crazy as it was the drop bag location and crew point for the 50m runners. Lots of people all over. I didn’t realize it at the time, but the woman in second stopped a little longer there and I passed her when I left the aid station. As a result, when I was hearing a women’s voice behind me for the next few miles, I kept pushing the pace. Stupid running and something that I shouldn’t have done. I let my desire to hit a specific place override inteligent running. When she finally caught me and I realized what was going to, it was a little late. The damage had been done. We chatted for a while and then as we turned onto the road leading back to Arth’s Corner she was gone. As I fumbled with refilling my pack with some Skratch, my motivation vanished. I was walking, not getting things done the way I should and really not looking forward to the next chunk of trail. Great Escape. A trail much more enjoyable on wheels. Or maybe I was just projecting that I’d rather be riding my bike! But I was already in my head and not getting out of it this time. My pace was slowing and I was not putting the effort in that I had been before. But I was still in third, so couldn’t completely give up! It didn’t help with the mental bleh that we were catching the 30k runners and unlike the 50m runners, they weren’t paying attention to the 50k runners coming up behind them.

My legs were starting to rebel and I was looking forward to getting off the slickrock. Not the best time to be passed like I was standing still! Down into fourth. I tried for a short time - maybe a mile to keep up, hoping that I’d be able to pick it up on the road. Then the preservation mindset kicked in - why keep pushing so hard at this point when there’s other races coming up? No matter how hard I try, I’ve only been able to talk down the preservationist once. Even then, it wasn’t enough. Given how much I hurt after that race, it’s pretty clear why I tend listen to the preservationist. So I slowed and decided that I’d just run comfortably into the finish. It was only 4.5 miles. With a monster climb and decent between me and the finish! The climb up was as ugly as I’d thought it would be. I wanted to run the entire thing, but ended up walking. I don’t know if running would have kept me in fourth, but I was passed by two more women - one in the middle of the climb and one right at the top. Ugh. Trying to keep positive and maybe I could catch them back on the descent, I started to run. Nope. Wasn’t going to even match that pace going downhill! Time to just cruise into the finish.

While I didn’t meet my place goal, I was within my range for finish goal times, crossing the line in 4:24. A little slower then my dream goal for the race, but I was still happy. Every time I run a race, I learn something. This time? I love my mountain trails and mountain views. Moab slickrock is fun for short runs, but most enjoyable on wheels!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..