Re-learning Ultra

This has been a process in the making since July 2016. Why so far back? Because that's when I ran my first 50 mile race - rediscovering my love of long distances and trail running. I'd had plans for more running races in 2017 - not as long as 50 miles, but eyeing a 50k or two in addition to my mountain bike races. But that was not to happen. My running in 2017 was severely curtailed by the eye flares throughout March and April. I ran some, but kept it short so not to irritate my eye any more then the mountain biking already did. The management strategies I have in place to keep my eye happy seemed to be working. Time to start looking at some long races! Based on timing, my desire to do Vapor Trail 125 for a fifth time, and my hesitancy to do another 50 mile race, I choose a local event on my backyard trails. The Pikes Peak Ultra 50k.

I've been keeping this one quiet - just because I haven't really felt much like a runner the last few months. It's been a roller coaster of training since the start of the year - with the never ending cough in the winter, Nick's surgery and my twisted ankle at the end of April and two weeks of hot and humidity in Minnesota. I felt like every time I started gaining ground, something would happen that would limit what I was able to do. I was nervous as I continually reworked training due all the various issues. I wasn't getting the hard runs, the trail play time or the long runs I wanted. But finally, it's the end of July and it's race week.

Looking out over the Pikes Peak Ultra 50k Course form the top of Mount Rosa.
Yes, it's race week and I feel like a newbie ultra runner. Things two years ago were simple and easy - what shirt to wear, which shorts, my shoes. Now I'm having issues with everything! I at least know what shirt I'm going to wear... But shorts? I thought I had the right pair until some major chafing on one of my long runs. So I tried another pair - same issues in different area. Argh! I wouldn't think my body has changed that much in two years. Add in the bra issues and it's been a frustrating time trying to figure things out. The comfy wool bra I've been wearing for a few months is now causing major chafing both front and back on my rib cage and I don't have time to go buy a new one. Shoes seemed dialed - the new update of the shoes I used for the 50. Ran a few of my long runs in them, but my feet weren't exactly happy. Legs loved the shoes, but not so much my feet. And my other pair was even older, making them less of an option for a race. Double yikes! I've also decided to use gaiters for the first time - on my last long run the scree on Pipeline was crazy. So many pebbles and rocks in my shoes! Newbie runner for sure right now and that is after after 70 marathons or ultra races!

At least I have my plan figured out. And my crew is top notch. I have that going for me! It will be a fun, hard day regardless of what happens. There's actually some big names in the race and I'm sure that they will just run away from me at the start. But these are my backyard trails. I know the course and I know the trails. Hopefully there will be some home course advantage!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..