Wilson!!!

Lake that is... Having heard great things about the trails in Wilson Lake, Nick and I made it a point to stop on the long haul out the KC. As we were driving in, I wasn't sure what to expect for my run. There didn't seem like there was much around. But as we turned a corner on the road, all of a sudden the lake appeared. And then the trail was evident in the tall grass. Yes, there was a trail!

I changed quickly, knowing we were short on time. We had about an hour to actually play, which meant I could run about 6 miles. Nick and I looked at the map of the park - the trail on the east of the road made a nice loop. Nick figured it was about 3 miles, I guessed about 6. It was impossible to know how many twists and turns there were that didn't reflect on the map. I would soon find out. With the wind gusting and rain threatening, I opted for long sleeved shirt and no visor. Didn't want the visor blowing away! I set out, but quickly realized the long sleeve shirt was too much. Ugh. Humidity! I'd forgotten about that humidity of Kansas!

There's a lake and some super fun single track in the middle of Kansas!
But the trail... twisty turning, sharp switchbacks, steep climbs and quick descents. Wow. Not what I was expecting out in the middle of Kansas. There were times where I could see the trail just a few 100 yards away, but it was a mile away. I was so confused, but enjoying every step. It was longer then I though it would be, and as I approached the 3rd mile I had a choice. Keep moving forward or turn around. If I kept going, I'd see the whole loop - but I might be late returning to the van. If I turned around, I would never know the mysteries of the trail. So I kept going.

And was rewarded. The trail maintained its character the entire time. I also saw two snakes - small ones, two deer and one huge buzzard. I should have stopped and gotten a photo of the buzzard - he flushed from the cliffs along the trails as I ran by and then perched on a rock outcropping beside the trail. Magnificent. But then, after the run as I was getting changed - a not so magnificent sight. A wood tick crawling up my sock - almost on my ankle. Ick. A sign of things to come....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..