Sunshine on my shoulders - Growler 2018

I have never seen the sun shining so brightly at 6:59 on the Sunday before Memorial Day as I did this year. Yet there we were, 300 strong, ready to take on the rocks of the Original Growler and there was nary a knee warmer to be seen. For Gunnison, it was down right warm! I still had my wind jacket on to keep a bit of the chill away while I waited, but I knew it would be coming off quickly. It was going to be a hot day, with the race turning into a test of hydration and heat management. But that would come later. First I had to survive the neutral start and Kill Hill.

One of my biggest worries going into Growler this year was the 28 front chain ring. I knew it was the right choice for the trails and technical riding, but the start terrified me more then normal. If I wasn't in a good position at the top of Kill Hill, it would be hard to move up before Josho-Os and the first technical riding. I was worried that I would be spun out and not able to keep up as we sped up Gold Basin Road. After all, I've felt spun out in my 30 during previous races. I'd been working on my cadence during all my basement sessions and interval workouts - but I'm a masher thru and thru. But it turned out not to be an issue. This was a slow roll out year, with the cop car yo-yoing the entire time. He'd speed up, everyone would breath a sigh of relief - the racing was on. And then he'd slow down and 600 disc breaks would engage. Nerve wracking. The faster rollout is harder, but far less stressful. But because of the speed of the neutral start and my decision to ride aggressively, I found myself in second place as we started racing for real. And then, when Kill Hill tipped towards the sky, something unexpected happened. I was leading the women's race. I entertained the thought of going for the Kill Hill prime, but opted not to contest when eventual winner Liz Carrington edged around me about 15' from the top. I'd burned enough matches already. There was a long way to go.


On Josh-O's, on the first lap.
Photo - Dave Kozlowski

Main Street is a section I always have issues with and this year was no different. Despite my mental pep talk to dig deep and hold position on Main Street, I didn't have an ended when Jennifer W powered past me. As last year's winner, I knew she would be formidable. Again, a long way to go and much as I was trying, I found myself falling back into the old patter of telling myself to hold steady and keep something for the second lap. But that's not what I wanted to do this year. I had three goals this year - try to clean everything except for the Notch Climb and Rattlesnake, ride the first lap aggressively and hopefully move up a spot or two on the podium from last year. With Liz already fading into the distance, and several fast women in the train behind me and Jennifer, I knew that last one would be a challenge.


Tree limb Limbo at the bottom of Skull Pass
Photo - Dave Kozlowski
The first test of goal number one came on Skyline. I'd dropped down into 6th after stopping to grab my pack from Nick, but was in the train with the rest of the ladies as we approached the one major rock outcropping at the top. The several of the guys ahead of us missed the intial rock climb. Two of the women took a different line then I normally do. I thought about it, but opted to stick with my initial plan. Usually the best line is straight up and over. Without our pre-ride weekend (we'd planned on coming down the first weekend in May, but that got nixed - something about just getting discharged from the hospital makes a camping and riding trip not the wisest of ideas.) I had to rely on memory from last year for everything. But a year old memory of when a rock obstacle appears and what line to take to get through it doesn't lead to as smooth riding as multiple trail scouting trips. Memory would have to do.


Got that last rocky section! Only a few more to go...
Photo - Dave Kozlowski
Memory served well this year. Out of the entire race, I only missed seven obstacles, not including Rattlesnake. It was the same three things on both laps and one that I missed on the first lap, but got for the second lap. An improvement from last year! Some of the bigger things, like that one rock on Gateway (I know, there's a lot of rocks on Gateway. Which one?) I still had to talk my way through it though. Drop down left before the rock, cut hard right, pedal pedal, hard left, wheelie up, wheelie over, off the brakes and weight back to drop back into trail. I might not have completely remembered everything, but I had the order enough to ride it. Last year, that rock was a struggle. And on Ridge, one of the first rocks, where you had to pop up onto the rock, hugging tight left to a wall to avoids dropping off the edge before making a hard 100* right turn as you rolled off the rock. I made it my first lap last year, but missed the turn on the second lap. This year, I made it both laps. Sure there were sound effects, but everything is better with sound effects! I know the quick dismount and run is more efficient the riding some of the bigger obstacles, but there's that matter of pride. If I can ride something, I will. If I think I can ride something, I'll give it a try.

This year, the trail was loose and dusty. Like most of Colorado, winter hadn't been generous to the Gunnison Valley. Add in a very warm spring and conditions were challenging. It wasn't the tight and fast track we normally race on. I never thought that the gravel surfing skills developed riding the canyon would help during Growler. There were times this year that I kept the rubber side down simply because I surfed the sand instead of fighting with it. And there was plenty of carnage from people washing out in corners. One of the techy sections I struggled with this year was coated in a layer of dust and sand, making it even harder. I think this was the harderst I've seen the course in terms of looseness and conditions.

Focused on what's coming up next, suffering in the heat.
Photo - Matt Burt
Unlike Saturday, when a layer of clouds blew in and kept temperatures down, we had nothing but blue skies and full sunshine all day. Which sounds good, but not in Hartmans. That abundant sunshine meant ever rising temperatures on top of the already warm start to the day. It quickly became apparent that one of the biggest challengers in the race was not the other riders, but the waves of heat radiating off the sage. It was the hottest day I've seen, as evidenced by how much I was drinking. Unlike last year, where I skipped my first handoff with Nick and wasn't finishing my bottles, this year I was draining everything. Draining everything, slamming what I could before leaving the aid stations. And it wasn't enough. I wanted more but couldn't handle more. Balancing the need for electrolytes and the thirst for water was challenging. Luckily, the Skratch Labs drink was perfect for the heat. And the Energy chews saved me on a day when my normal real food snacks weren't going to work. Those chews were money!

At the base area to start my second lap and I'd ridden myself back into 3rd place. Given the heat and how loose the course was, I was happy with my lap time. I was about six minutes behind Liz, so if I kept to together and rode hard on the second lap, I hoped I'd have a chance to reel some of the time back. I knew it was going to be a tall order though - I was feeling that first lap more then I wanted. The imperfect build and stress of late April were starting to take a toll on me. The negative thoughts started creeping in as I rode and pushed up the Notch. Holding onto 3rd place seemed like the only reasonable goal at the time. Riding negative splits to keep my time under 7:00 was looking challenging. I'd stuck to goal #2 and ridden the first lap aggressively. Perhaps too aggressively...

Becky caught me at the top of Becks when I stopped to get a new bottle from Nick. She was riding great, looking comfortable and strong. We went back and forth a few times on Rattlesnake, but she pulled away on the climb of Josh-Os. There would be no catching here with how quickly she was riding. While I was starting to melt with the heat, she seemed to be in her element. My final goal of remaining on the podium was gone.


Still smiling! Even though I was melting at that point.
Photo - Matt Burt
For me, the wheels felt like they were coming off. After passing thru the primary feed zone at Skull Pass, it became a mental battle more the a physical one. It was so tempting to just give in to the heat and back off. I knew I couldn't do that though - i had to keep riding hard and at least hold onto 4th. Each section of trail became a mile point. One less section to ride and one chunk closer to the finish. Between the sun beating down on my shoulders and the heat radiating back at me from the sandy ground, I was melting. I'd done my last two longish rides mid day in the full heat, but there's shade in the Cañon. There's no shade anywhere in Hartman's. My braids were dripping sweat, the ends building salt deposits. My eyes were throbbing from the unfiltered sunshine, despite my glasses. The sooner I finished, the sooner I could get cooled off. As is my tendency when I start overheating, I slowed even more. No mater how much I want to dig when it's that hot, I can't ever seem to find that gear to keep the pressure on. I can go forever in the heat - just don't ask me to go fast.

Just survive to the finish. That was my only goal. Survive to the finish. The guys around me had the same idea - ride smart to finish. One of them had already decided he was the driver of the Suffer Bus even though we were still moving pretty well. But all of us were suffering in the sweltering sunshine. We'd all seen our goal times come and gone, so it was a good day to just be riding. I'd hoped to ride about 6:45 - since we were going the same direction as last year, I figured going a few minutes faster was reasonable. My B goal time was the same time as I'd raced last year - 6:52. And here it was, 7:00 into the race and I was just starting the climb up Ridge. Such is the nature of racing. The break through races don't happen every year.

In the end, I held onto my 4th place, finishing in 7:16. I melted some, but not as much as I have in prior hot races. And even when I was tired, feeling the heat - I still managed to ride smoothly and make the rock obstacles. I'll take that minor win! Hopefully next year will finally provide the chance for that perfect build I keep dreaming about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..