Rescuing me - 2018 Rescue Run

I have never been happier that I'd decided to race the shorter distance. For the 2018 Rescue Run,  I wanted a different challenge. Shorter might take less time, but that never means easier. When I signed up for the race, I had no motivation to tackle the 10k. So the 5k was the perfect challenge, a mile and a half straight up, and then a mile and a half downhill. I've never done the 5k course at Palmer Park either, which made it even more appealing. 

And then I woke up at 11:30pm, full fever flared, coughing up my lungs. Ouch. I wasn't planning on seeing in the New Year awake, but that's what happened. Racing the next morning seemed unlikely. Maybe just running and having fun, but not racing. I felt marginally better as the morning dawned. Maybe racing would be possible. I would decide during my warm up. We showed up at Palmer Park lateish - with just enough time to jog a little. Not ideal for a 5k effort, but given how I was feeling the short warmup was okay. I wouldn't be racing that hard anyway. 

Start of the Rescue Run - I am definitely not as happy as the Fossil runner behind me!
Or so I thought. There is a deep competitive streak inside me, and even feeling less then 100% I wanted a good result. At the gun, I stated smartly, a little slower then normal and somehow found myself in the lead. I knew it wouldn't last. Connilee soon caught me, running stronger on the initial climb. Elizabeth was right behind me and also passed me in, just at the top of the climb. I was hopeful I could make up some time on the rolling middle miles. With how short a 5k is, there's no margins for recovery, no chances to make up time when things go south. At the turn around, I knew there was no catching the two women ahead of me. I needed to focus on the women behind me. With my chest tightening and a coughing fit looming, it was a tall order. Luckily it was nearly all downhill to the finish. I might not have had the energy to run up the hills, but I still could fly down the final hill. Even luckier, the coughing fit held off until the finish! 

After the turn-around, heading for home. Still cold!
After the race, the cold temperatures set in quickly. We'd brought the big blue puffy for me to warm up in and I was super happy to toss it on after the race. Waiting around after the race is always cold and having a warm coat is the only way to be comfortable. And the big blue coat is the warmest thing - even if it makes me look like a giant blue marshmallow! I tried to avoid most people since I didn't want to spread the crud around. There was the usual Brewers cup photos and introductions and the happy New Years from everyone I knew. One of the things I love about the Rescue Run! Everyone was saying how sorry they were I was sick, but hey! The year can't get any worse if you start it off on a low note.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..