Mount Guyot

So if I thought the Colorado Trail stage was fun yesterday, well today was even more fun. But I have also decided that in the Breck Epic, if there is a fun descent one day, then we will be climbing back up it the next day! At least for these first few days...

Another start on Washington Rd, another rollout on the gradual climb of Wellington Rd. I think on day two, we have finally gotten the rollout figured out because it was much smoother making that left hand turn. Amber and I right away settled into our duo happy place - riding with several of the men's duos that we've been riding with for the last two day. We were a much chattier group on the rollout today as well - taking our minds off of the 40 miles left to pedal. Amber and I started talking right away on the climb up Side Door, keep the pace real, keep the pedaling steady and just ride smart. We were starting the stage 31 minutes down, so riding intelligently and staying upright was more important then racing. Especially with the big, burly day that we had ahead of us. The circumnavigation of Mount Guyot - climbing above treeline twice, with two techy descents as well. Both Amber and I were riding blind, having never set tire tracks to the dirt we were about to face. Even more important to stay smart.

The first few miles went pretty quickly, despite the climbing. After the first aid station, we headed up Michigan Creek. It was wet, rocky and rooty. Amber made it look easy, pedaling up the trail without any issues, I got bucked off by a rock and ended up in the conga line of pushers. Luckly, I've been working on my HAB skills this year and was able to hustle my way back up to Amber. Then we were both hiking - the initial climb up to the false summit of French Pass was definitely hiking material. I hoisted my bike onto my shoulders and up we went. A little more pedaling, then the final climb. We made good time, able to catch some of the guys ahead of us on the HAB. A quick stop at the summit to grab some skittles and it was "Full Squish" Time! Todd had warned us about the descent off French Pass, so I was on top of my game, eyes on the trail, picking the best lines I could. And the guys we passed on the HAB to the summit? Never saw them again! The French Pass descent was awesome - the alpine descending that we both love so much. And being able to drop some of the guys in the process? Even better.

We did see them again on the climb up to the CT. But it took them a while... The road climb up to Georgia Pass wasn't too bad - a gradual grinder with some kickers. It was a good place to get some food in since we both knew that we wouldn't be able to eat once we got on the CT. Again, this was a new decent for both of us. Nick had told me horror stories about the chunky switchbacks at the end, so I was A-gaming the entire way down. Amber planted her wheel on mine and followed me down. The first half of the descent is bermy and smooth - super fun. And then there's a sharp turn and the entire nature of the trail changes. From bermy loomy dirt that we could just rail to chunky rocks and roots just looking to eat a wheel. Yikes! Time to slow down and focus. Breath, relax, ride your bike. I was talking aloud as I do on the techy sections. But I was also having to pick the lines and make sure Amber could follow me down. So I was talking a lot and shouting a few times on some of the switchbacks. We were able to ride some of the guys off our wheels on that section today... Amber even got to call "riding" both up and down on this stage!

One last major climb after Aid 3. We settled in again, keeping the tempo steady, the pedaling smooth. We had another 11 miles left to ride, with at least three miles facing us before another pedaly flume trail. Ugh. Amber set a comfortable pace for most of the climb, but on the steepest pitch, she was still pedaling and I decided to walk. Have I mentioned that she can ride her bike up those steep hills like nobody's business? We got on to the Flume trail and pedaled away. Lots of pedaling... Finally we started seeing familiar terrain and popped out onto the road. The last steep bugger of a climb... Again, Amber was able to pedal up all of it - I walked maybe the last 20 feet. Now we were just retracing our tracks from so many hours before! We were both starting to get cranky with the steep road climbs, looking forward to the final descent of Sidedoor. But it wasn't the final descent. Just for fun, we had one more little climb and descent before the finish.

Another second place on the stage - we are holding firmly onto second in the GC. I don't see things changing much in the next three days, but who knows... Our goal will remain the same. Ride smart, talk to each other and remember - it's all about having fun! I do wish I'd been able to get some photos on this stage though - so many amazing views!
Day 3 podium - Amber and I switched it up a little

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..