Back to Bangs

 Third year in a row for the Bangs Canyon World Championship and the most un-Bangs weather I’ve seen. Sure, it was cold. But the sun was shining and the course was mostly dry with no mud to be seen. That meant all the speed demons came out to play and my chance of defending my title was slim to none. Nothing if not realistic! That didn’t mean I wasn’t going to give it my best shot and try to run hard and smart. 

There were about five times as many people on the start line this year as compared last and maybe twice as many as 2022. The speedsters took off super fast, including two women I didn’t know, as well as Lexi and Michelle. I was hoping to keep the gap between myself and those two close. I know I’m nowhere nearly as fast as them for shorter distances, but maybe this would be long enough to tip the scales in my favor. After all, I don’t have the speed like I did when I was their age, but I’ve swapped it for endurance. Lexi’s done an 50 miler, but they both tend to favor the sub 50k distances. Even so, Bang’s is a hard course and does not benefit one or the other. Speed helps, it always does. But this course requires solid strength as well. And climbing skills - which I have not really been focusing on the last few months.

I settled into a comfortable downhill pace, running and chatting with Cody. I was supposed to have shared about 20 miles with him back in August on the Bangs Canyon section of Tabeguache. I didn’t get there though, and hadn’t really run with him much since October. It was nice to catch up and talk about plans for the new year. No huge plans but some redemption runs. And learning experiences. Every race is really a learning experience more then just pinning a bib on and running hard. If all you do is pin a bib on, you are missing out. That was one thing Cody and I both agreed upon. Learn what you can and grow from the events  

When we hit the turn onto Third Flats road, Cody told me to go track down Lexi and Michelle. I laughed, saying there would be no tracking down - just running smart. But I would keep that in the back of my mind. I did pick up the pace a little, using the down hill to open up the stride just a little. Run smart to not blow up the quads prior to the Windmill climb, but keep running hard. Lexi and Michelle were putting some distance into me, but not too much. I figured I was in fifth, but wasn’t full sure since there were a few other women on the course. I knew some people had taken a wrong turn early on - turning left onto the Billings Canyon Access Road instead of going straight. There were also the early starters out there. Were the women in front of Lexi and Michelle early starters or had they just gone out a little hard? I wasn’t going to let it worry me or distract me for a good run on a perfect day! 

Along the road paralleling the Gunnison River, I finically looked at my watch. I was expecting low 9:00s at that point. I’d been running hard but not really pushing. It didn’t feel like I was in the 8:00 range, but to my surprise I was. Mid 8:00 and 7 miles into the day. Yikes. Was I going too hard? Did a quick mental inventory and assessed my legs. Note. Things still felt really good. No fatigue building and the quads were in good shape after the downhill. But I did need a snack. Try to eat early and often so it’s nibbling instead of chugging. I had my favorite pumpkin spice wafer cookies, but when I went to pull one out of the bag it disintegrated into crumbs. Whoops. The packaging had felt a little soft but I’d gotten them anyway. The crumps would have to suffice for a bit. There’s one major climb on the river road, ascending to the horse Horse Mesa turn. I had a few of the bigger crumbs while hiking up that section and then settled into the downhill before the Windmill Climb. I could see ponytails ahead of me so I didn’t want to get too complacent on pace! I was still just under 9:00s so had lost a little time on the climb. I was starting to dream though. My original goal was to try to hold 11 average, so just about 3:40 time. A huge PR from last year’s time, but with the dry conditions could I be faster? As always, it would depend. 

It was 8.2 miles to the start of the Windmill Climb. I hit it in 1:12 and started doing a little runner math. Eleven miles. I could do that in 2:20 and be right at 3:30. At least that’s what I decided the goal would be. I would have to hold just over 12s on the climb, get some time back on the drop to Rough Canyon and hold on on that final climb up Tabeguache. And I could see Lexi and Michelle just ahead of me. Michelle’s coat was tied around her waist, so they must have stopped to shed some layers. I figured I could try, but most likely wouldn’t see them again. I deployed my poles - most like didn’t need them but it’s always good to practice and started powering up the steepest section of the lower climb. The first two miles of Windmill road are the hardest - straight up and steep. The entire road is this gradual climb that is just hard enough that you don’t want to run but level enough that you feel like you should be running. The first year I did Bangs, I basically had a pity party on that climb. Last year I just wanted it over because of the mud along the river. This year, I felt great and was comfortable pushing the pace. At the windmill and eleven miles in, I was still on target for a 3:30 finish. Only eight miles left. I’d lost sight of Michelle and Lexi and could feel Cody breathing down my back. But with 8 miles left, that mean 3.5 left on Windmill, then 2.5 down on Tabeguache and finally the last climb up Tabeguache. Break it down and focus on the short goals which mean the next three miles on Windmill. 

Cody caught me just as we created the top of the Windmill climb. Just a short but steep descent to Tabeguache and then I’d be able to focus on the next section. I stopped for my selfie at the Windmill/Tab sign and then headed back onto the trail. As always, there was more snow here there anywhere else, making the running a little tricky. Since I still had my poles out, I was more then happy to put them to use to help with traction and stability! Cody and I chatted a little more and then I decided to open it up on the downhill. Nothing left to save the quads for so I might as well take a few chances! And maybe just maybe get a glimpse of a few people ahead of me. I’ve never really pushed the effort on that section of Tab - I’m usually trying to be conservative and picture what my legs would few like at mile 136 on the trail. Not this time. And while I don’t necessary enjoy just bombing straight downhill anymore, this time I was giggling. So much fun! I actually did catch a few people on the descent as well! And to my surprise, near the bottom of the descent I saw Michelle and Lexi just a few turns ahead of me. Soon enough, we crossed the creek at the bottom of Rough Canyon. Just under two miles to go - the brutal slickrock climb up to the parking lot. Could I catch them and pass them in those two miles?

Cody would tell me later that I took off like a scalded cat at the bottom of the climb. I have no clue how I managed to run hike that section like I did, but I was “flying.” Running where I could, hiking as hard as I could otherwise. I didn’t know if I would actually catch anyone, but I was going to do my best. It helped that I’d done that section of trail more then a few times. I didn’t have to think at all. I just had to put my head down and climb. And that actually paid off. I came to Lexi and Michelle at the end of the open play area as they were trying to remember which way to go. Both directions get to the top - the harder line is steeper and shorter, the easier line quite a bit longer but not nearly as steep. We all headed off up the steeper line, marching together. Group think took over and if one person started running, the entire group ran. I was hoping I would have enough in my legs to get a gap, but also knew that even if I didn’t, I’d meet my goal of sub 3:30.  We were all still together as we approached the last slickrock section. I decided to take a chance and see if I could get a little extra from my legs. Instead of hiking on the last steep pitch, I kept shuffle running. It was enough and I had just a little gap as we crested the hill into the last little down hill. Didn’t know if I’d be able to hold it, but time to go. Just run and don’t look back. 

In the end I finished 3rd woman running 3:23:12 - much faster then I’d imagined. I put only 18 seconds into Lexi and Michelle with my final push. I know that they could have easily beat me, but it was nice to have a solid race to star the year. Makes me optimistic about my goal time for my upcoming 50 miler. And of course the quesadillas at the end! Somehow the tradition has been started of Nick cooking up quesadillas after he rides his bike up to the Bangs Canyon lot. I think it’s a great tradition personally!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..