Game Day 5k

The Super Half Marathon is usually my jam on that first Sunday of February. An early season test of fitness, speed and sometimes adversity with the weather conditions! This year was a return to the Game Day 5k - for a variety of reasons. I knew after my crash that I wouldn’t be ready for a half marathon I would be happy with. I also wanted to put my focus on the 6 hour race the following weekend and running the Super Half might have taken a bit too much out of me. And there was this little thing called work! The 5k was a great compromise. I’d be able to work, still run a hard race and support all my friends.

But that meant I had to run a 5k! Even before, when I was really fast - the 5k distance was my least favorite. All in from the gun, very little time for strategy and so easy to make a mistake with pacing. And that was when I was healthy! I was definitely regretting my choices when I ran over from work. A 5k without any speed work or training was sounding more and more painful. If I hadn’t been ready to run a hard half marathon - generally an easier distance for me, what was I possibly thinking about being ready for a 5k? Ugh....  I settled on the no expectations, run what I felt plan. Go reasonably hard and then see what happens. I was hoping for at least a sub 24 time - that was realistic for the time I’d run at the Neilson the day before. But most important, I also needed to give myself grace - stay out of my head and avoid the negative talk.

With the wonderful weather, the fast runner came out last minute to test their legs.  I lined up right behind them, mentally reminding myself to run my own race. I wasn’t in a position to race any of them. I was running against myself and no one else. Off the line and they all took off as I’d anticipated. I went hard, but still within myself. It actually felt really good - I was able to get the turnover and quick cadence going. Surprisingly, I was right behind a group of three of the faster women, dangling just off the back. As we hit the Santa Fe trail, I thought about trying to pick it up and seeing if I could catch back on. One little surge and I thought better of that idea. The lack of any speed training precluded making any moves like that. Be happy in the moment and the pace. I let them go. While it was the smartest move, it wasn’t easy. They were women I usually can run with easily and I couldn’t hang. But again - grace. I couldn’t get down on myself - I was out there, running much harder and faster then I’d originally anticipated. I hit the turn around, realizing that maybe even a sub 22 time was within reach. Just keep running as hard as the legs and chest would allow. And smile! 

That was the key - too many race reports are filled with negativity and excuses. And yes - I would have loved to have run faster, placed higher and been more competitive. But the fact that I ran 22:08 - when my original goal was to just be under 24:00 - was more then I could have hoped for. And even better, I felt strong running. There was some soreness in my ribs with the race pace breathing, my legs weren’t accustomed to anything even resembling speed, but I’d felt good. The last mile had been a struggle, but nothing worse then any other 5K I’d done. Just a little slower.  I can’t complain and there’s no need for excuses. For where I was in my recovery, it was the best race I could have had! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..