Missing Out

So it’s 30 days out from my crash. My ribs feel much better, but I’m still getting some sharp pains along the front and where the chest tube was. I was able to go back to work at the beginning of the week - which was super nice. I missed my co-workers and interacting with my patients! I’ve even been able to start running a little. Kind of a walk/jog/hoggle type of run - nothing fancy at all. The ribs ache and I can tell I’m still pretty anemic, in addition to still not quite being able to take a full deep breath. But I’m able to start moving more and moving smoother, which is the goal. Small steps, focusing on the moment and not the big picture right now. I have some challenging goals for next year and I need to make sure I heal well, recovery smartly and take my time building into the training again.

But still. Tomorrow I was supposed to be heading up to Golden for my planned final race in the Transcendence Series - the Sawmill 50+. Even though I’d finished my challenge at Indian Creek and didn’t need Sawmill, it still was on the calendar. I was looking forward to a low key winter ultra where I could just have fun and face the challenge the weather provided. Since I’d reached my season goal, I was leaving the option of only doing one lap on the table. I didn’t need the 50k, but wanted to be among the community of runners that make the Human Potential Running Series so great. I didn’t care about my time, the distance I chose to run, or my place. I just wanted to run.

After we got home from Kansas City, it was pretty clear that I wouldn’t be able to run a 50k in four weeks. I was still holding out hope for doing the single 17 mile loop at that point. Walking a few miles was painful and I wasn’t breathing well at all, so I did what was smart. Taking a chance on doing the race would be stupid. I emailed John and said I was out and to pull me from the starting list. (Not so I didn’t show up as DNS. That really doesn’t matter! I have a DNF that doesn’t show up on ultrasignup and that actually annoys me a little. My record isn’t the perfect green that it shows!) I figured with Sawmill being sold out, I might as well give someone on the wait-list my spot. I would hope someone else would do that for me one day. I admit toy hesitated before sending the email. Once it was done, it was done and no matter how good I was feeling on the 14th, I would be out. I thought about holding on for few more days, but the Saturday urgent care visit convinced me that I really needed to think longevity and not just “now.” I felt like crap and didn’t feel like I was recovering at all from the crash. I know what was happening, but that all affected the recovery from the crash even more. Instead of dealing with “just” one or two broken ribs, I was now dealing with five broken ribs, some very cranky lungs, severe anemia and all the post-op challenges from two surgeries and a chest tube for three days. 

Sunset isn't the end - it's the start of new dream


I know I’m in no shape to run 17 miles tomorrow, let alone 34. I know that pulling out of Sawmill was the best for long term recovery and for long term goals. But that doesn’t mean I’m happy about it. I really wanted to be up in Golden, facing Belcher hill again and being part of something special. I have to remember that one day, one event doesn’t make a runner. It’s the life long commitment to the challenges and the adventures only found through ultra running. I might miss this challenge, but the greater adventures are coming next year. I’ll see my tribe at Stories - both running and volunteering! I have a great weekend planned, although still working on the theme for Home Base over night. And then come July - time to #daregreatly as I step up to Silverheels 100. I knew after Last Call, I wanted to tackle Silverheels. Part of daring greatly is being smart. That is the challenge right now. It doesn’t mean I can’t be sad about missing Sawmill. It just means I have to acknowledge and then look past the sadness and frustration that I’m still hurting and not healing as fast as I would like. It means I have to honor what my body needs in the present so I am ready what is coming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..