Indian Creek

Three weeks after a 100 mile race, I had no idea what I would feel like going into the final race - Indian Creek 55k. Would I have recovered enough to run happy the entire way? Or would it be a death march from the start, with my legs rebelling against the idea of running? I knew I'd be okay for a few miles and that I even had a little speed left after the prior weekend's Neilson and Fall Series events. But a 3.2 mile race is a far cry from a 35 mile race and I was honestly concerned about how I would handle the distance. So what does any good runner do when faced with a question about how recovered they are? Focus on the costume contest instead of anything else! Yes, my goal was to win the costume contest - heck with running fast. I'm not sure when I came up with the idea for my costume, but it was shortly after Last Call. John had gone over the legend of SilverHeels during the pre-race meeting and I'd done some reading of my own. Could I pull it off? Could I come up with a costume that paid homage to SilverHeels and be something I could run in? I will say - when you are doing a long run in the Canon wearing a lacy red dress, that turns some heads! I kept the details of the costume close, not wanting to spoil the surprise.

I thought I was ready. The dress was perfect, the gaiters with my silver strip on the heels were ready and I had a veil I could run in comfortably. I was still pondering the fishnets - those might get a little crazy after a few miles! Then the storm blew in and the anticipated warm temperatures and sunshine vanished in favor of several inches of snow and sub-freezing temperatures. A movement of panic - was my dress warm enough for the cold awaiting me at the Indian Creek Campground? Then I remembered a black shawl I'd crocheted years ago. Might not be running gear, but it would keep me warm!

An early morning start had us at Indian Creek before sunrise. I kept bundled up for the stroll down to get my number - the only hint of my costume the silver heels of my gaiters. Then it was back to the car for some last minute prep of my drop bag and such. I wasn't looking forward to dropping my pants and my puffy coat, but knew I needed to eventually. The pants I left in the car, the puffy I took with me. Back at the start/finish, a line of runners was waiting to check in. I dropped my bag and jumped into help with handing out shirts and swag. Might as well! Besides, there were heaters in the tent for the volunteers... John was too busy to notice the costume right away, but others sure noticed Silverheels helping out! As we all gathered for the pre-race meeting, then he noticed. There were a few other costumes - a gentleman in a dress shirt and tie, all formal, a lady dressed as a unicorn and someone dressed as a cow. But the veil, lacy red dress, fishnets and knee high silver heeled "boots" really stood out. And people recognized who I was supposed to be! That was the best part. It's always a gamble with a costume, but when people see you and go "that's Silverheels, from the Fairplay races..." Success! Anyway, the costume contest rules were that you had to wear the costume for at least one lap of whatever distance race you were in. Not a problem. Other then the shawl, I was planning on wearing the costume for the entire day. I knew I'd be pulling the veil up and down - when ever I was close to aid stations or the Reservation, I was in full costume. Out on course, I did pull the veil down so I could eat and drink - as well as breath a little better!

Climbing up one of the many hills on Ringtail trail. We made a colorful group!
And then we were off. Into the wilds of Indian Creek. Having last ridden up there in 2009, I was really looking forward to the course. I didn't care about my time or place - just having fun and reaching the finish line! Besides, since we were starting with the 15 mile runners, it would be nearly impossible to figure out where I was in the race. So just run. As luck would have it, I found myself with a few friends from prior races and the gentleman in the tie. We made quite the pair - him in the dress pants, shirt and tie and me in my red dress! The first few miles were on double track around the campground, gradually climbing away from the reservation. I could still feel the fatigue in my legs as we turned onto the singletrack of Ringtail Trail. I felt decent running, but not great. The hills seemed much steeper then they really were and I was wanting to walk much sooner then anyone else around me. But the group was such a solid one, with great conversation and trail knowledge. I knew my legs would rebel eventually. But hey - might as well run until the rebellion happened, right?  The first few miles were amazing, running through golden aspens, winding up and down snow covered hills. I was happy for my shawl and gloves - it was chilly in the shade. I had two women pass me after we turned onto the single track, but I didn't care. I was just running. Have fun and enjoy the amazing trails.


I didn't get my yellow brick road along the Rainbow Trail this year - but Indian creek delivered!


The first taste of sunshine, with Denver in the far distance

As we dropped down in Roxborough State Park, I remembered that everything we'd just run down, we would have to climb back up later. Ouch. That would be an issue for a few miles from then. But with that in mind, I kept the pace easy - as easy as I could with the group I was in. I knew I was running too fast through the sun soaked trails in RSP, but again. The conversation was good and I just felt good. Why worry about what would happen later? After all, I was running in a lacy dress with a hand made shawl wrapped around my arms! I was very happy to have the shawl - might not have been as warm as a jacket or long sleeved shirt, but it was enough to keep me warm. Add in the black gloves I was wearing and I was actually quite comfortable! It took a few tries, but I did finally get the shawl tucked in neatly with my pack. Yes, Silverheels was wearing a running vest. Not period, I know - but a dancing girl still has to drink!

Starting the descent into Roxborough State Park

Runners on the trail - Silverheels right at the end of the train!
Photo from Strava
We very quickly reached the Rampart Aid station. I pulled up my veil as I heard voices - gotta stay in costume as best I as could throughout the day! Since it had been so cold to start the day, I really hadn't been drinking all that much yet. I got a water refill and took off back into the snowy trees. The course on that first lap was a tale of two trails - the trails at higher elevation and shadowed in the trees were covered in snow. The lower trails through RSP were a little muddy and warm with full sunshine. As I'd anticipated, I was walking a little more then I'd planned this early in a race, but still maintaining a decent pace while running. There was some deep fatigue left in my legs. Running a hard 55k wasn't the smartest thing I could be doing.

The climb back up to Reservation was all in shadows, with snow covering the ground. I pulled my shawl tighter around my arms and kept the pace as high as comfortable. There was some running and some hiking, but I gave myself permission to hike. After all, reaching the finish was all the mattered. If I needed to hike, I would. I wouldn't even get upset at myself for not hiking fast if that's not what my legs had in mind! Something else that I've learned this year - sometimes the permission to hike and just keep that forward momentum is more important then anything else. Staying focused on the mile pace and the overall time can be mentally overwhelming, especially when things go southward. Why not work on that during a low key race where I had no goals and had no knowledge of the course? As the miles ticked over and the summits appeared between the trees, I pulled the veil up again. I would run however far it was into Reservation in full costume. I'm nothing if not committed! I did pass John, Emily and few other volunteers carrying the Logan Pulfus Bench out to the rest. I stopped to let them pass, dipping into a slight curtsy as they did. I was just running. They were working to memorialize a lost friend.

I actually felt really good coming into the Reservation after the first lap. I had a few people mention my costume as I ran past, the recognition of who I was supposed to be. The skeletons, er volunteers were super helpful, getting me a cup of tater-tots to go, filling my soft flasks and generally being awesome. The staff at Reservation was really great - they were all in skeleton costumes, with one lady even sporting a sugar skull painting on her face! I wasn't super efficient with my stop. It took a little longer then I wanted to refill my bladder and decide on some goodies to bring with me. I actually hadn't eaten anything in the first 15 miles, so the food choices were a little overwhelming. I pondered keep my shawl, but decided to leave it. The sun was up and the temperatures were warming quickly. Or so I thought! Finally, I was heading back out on course, starting my second loop.

This was the hard loop, or at least it looked like it on the elevation profile. A quad killing descent down Indian Creek trail to the Colorado Trail, then dropping all the way to Waterton Canyon. Then the climb. Not only did we have to climb back up from Rampart to the finish, we had to climb up from Waterton! I remembered the descent from riding it years ago when I'd dropped Nick off for a CT bikepacking trip. It was still steep, but the climbs seemed steeper. They weren't too long, but long enough to make me slow to a walk. Oh well. I took the walking breaks as a chance to eat my coveted Tator-tots. I don't carry a spare cup just for the liquids! It's also for tator-tots or ramen or any other food stuffs I might find appealing. I was definitely feeling the first 15 miles when I hit the CT. More descending... My quads were complaining loudly! On the descent down into Waterton Canyon, I realized that the 50 mile runners would not only have to run down this section of the CT, they would have to run back up it later. Double ouch. That course for the 50 mile looked like one of the hardest races in the HPRS offerings! There were more then a few times during that day I was happy I "only" had to do the 55k there.

Finally we reached the Waterton aid staion. As usual, the Adversity Army was out in force - and very enthusiastic. The aid station was decorated with Halloween bunting and skulls. I got water, some ginger ale, watermelon and some other nibbles then head up. Into Roxburough State Park again. Time to climb up to Rampart. There was no running on that climb. In fact, there were a few times that I was wishing I'd brought my poles with me! But as I'd opted to leave them at Reservation, it was put my hands on my quads and just march forward. Into and out of the shadows, into and out of the snow. I was catching many of the early starters at that point, always with a cheerful and encouraging word. I actually had to put my gloves in some of the shadier sections! My dress was warm, but not that warm.

The entrance of RSP - we were in and out of the park so many times I lost count

And then - voices in the trees. The Rampart aid station appeared from the shadows. The volunteers checked me, told me how Mom was doing (she was running in the 15 miler race.) I got some food, some ginger ale and some water. I should have had a full drink of water before going, but didn't... I also got a full cup of pickle juice. Yes, pickle juice. I have officially become one of those runners! But the pickle juice was the best thing. Just what I needed at that point. I took my time, walking out of the aid station so I could drink it all down. Yum. I knew it was going to be warm in lower trails of RSP, but I hadn't anticipated how warm it would really get. Leaving Rampart, I knew I had about 10 miles to go. At most three hours left - if I slowed to Sangre pace! I was still able to run comfortable on the flats and the downhills, but the climbs were starting to hurt. My quads were protesting the early morning miles, run too fast for what I was doing and how recovered I was. And now I was faced with climbing back up that descent. Perhaps Sangre pace would be making an appearance... To my surprise, I was able to settle into a solid march pace up the climb - running in a few places, but mostly powerhiking. Each step took me closer, each step climbing higher and higher. I remembered John's warning about the false summits and tried to remember the trail from so many hours ago. Was this time final climb or was there one more with another steep little downhill?

The old me would have been mentally beating myself up when I was passed with less then three miles left to run. I tried keeping up with her, but I just didn't have in my legs. So I didn't. And it took a bit of adjustment, but after a few minutes, I was fine. I didn't get into a negative mental space - I just kept moving. I hadn't had any expectations going into the race, why let them weigh heavy on me now? The lessons from Sheep Mountain returning... Besides, I had other pressing matters. Like an empty bladder in my vest with two miles to go. I sucked every drop of liquid out, but it wasn't quite enough. Even though we were in the shadows and the cooler section of the course, I was still thirsty. At least I had some ginger ale and some water left! That lasted until about a mile to go. Then the trail tipped down for the last time. Back into full costume for the final mile on the double track!

There was a strange feeling of release when I turned onto the campground road. After all the miles, all the races. I was reaching that final finish line. Somehow, I'd managed to not only start six challenging ultras, I'd reached the finish line of each one. I'd started the year unsure of what would happen - would I stay healthy and uninjured for an entire year? Would I have the mental and physical strength to keep moving against all challenges?  To take one more step when all I wanted to do was stop moving? And what would I learn over the months and the miles?

SilverHeels and RD John LaCroix.
 And there is was. The final finish line of the Transcendence Series. I slowed to a walk as I crossed into the grass. I wasn't going to rush through that final finish line. I wanted to take it in, realize what I had just accomplished. The time didn't matter - the challenge and everything that I learned throughout the year was the ultimate prize. There were times I didn't think I would ever reach this final finish line, and yet there it was. In full character, I dropped into a full curtsy as I stepped under the archway. SilverHeels was home. 

I'm really happy I decided to take the chance on running Indian Creek so close to Sangre de Cristo. There was something perfectly fitting about finished out the challenge on the Fall Classic, the original Human Potential Running Series event. It was made even better with my costume, paying homage to the legend and the mountain that looms over Fairplay, the namesake for the Silverheels 100. I'm still working through the entire year - but putting into words the emotions on finally reaching my goal is proving challenging.

The full costume - yes, I ran the entire 55k in my fishnets and probably about 8 miles with the veil up!
Six races, six challenges..
Six awards from six experiences, two belt buckles and one shot glass!
Human Potential
The voice in your head that Dares you to Dream it
Moves you to Do it
Wills you to Experience it


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..