Fall Series 1 and Winter Series 2

So technically, it's Fall Series 1/2 - not Winter Series 2. But I'm getting ahead of myself here.
Fall Series 1, Monument Valley Park. The "highlight" of this race is the run up Monument Valley Creek - at least half a mile of splish splashing through the water. I've been studiously avoiding this race for that reason for the last 10 years. I hate the thought of running through the creek! This year was different. Fortieth anniversary of the fall series, I had to end my avoidance of the creek so I could run. I picked out my worst shoes, my oldest socks and shorts that I didn't mind getting soaked. I just remembered the last time I'd run in the creek, I'd fallen in a few holes and ended up completely soaked. I planned for that this year.

The first half of the course was pretty straight forwards and mellow. North up the steep hill and around the eastern edge of the park, across the PopCycle Bridge and then back down south to Uintah. I didn't push the pace too hard at the start, finding myself in fourth at the top of the steep hill. Not bad, but time to start working hard. It's been my goal this whole year, run a little easier at the start so I can finish a little stronger - or at least not slow down as much! Seems to be getting a little easier - I've been able to maintain my pace much better over the last few races. This time, I was in second as we dropped down into the creek, but reminding myself that the race doesn't start until we exit the creek. A lot can happen in that half mile!
Sandbars might not have been the fastest choice....

At the exit of the creek, I was in first. I'd put some time into the orginal leader, but suddenly had a tail. Out of nowhere, another woman I hadn't even seen at the start was right behind me. Humm. She was running really well, matching my pace on the smoother trails. I was able to get a little ground on the steeper descents, but she always caught right back on. With the finish coming soon, I needed to make a move. On the last little chunk of single track, I took off. I hit the double track about 5 seconds in front of her and then dug deep. Somehow I managed a finishing sprint with sand filled shoes! Alas, even though I was the first woman across the line, the series scoring goes on chip time. And she started just enough behind me that my one second sprint turned into a three second deficit at the end. Oh well, part of racing!
Having more fun playing in the creek then I thought I would

One of the challenging things about a series is having to show up regardless of conditions. That was very much evident on Oct 14th for the second race of the Fall Series. Winter showed up to play and there were more puffy coats out on the race course then I've seen for a while! This was not my favorite of the courses - nothing really cross country about it, just running thought the double track trails of Bear Creek Park. But that meant it was also time to work on my speed and my ability to maintain that speed on the hills of Bear Creek. Nothing better to do then try to run fast when it's freezing. Get the run done quickly and get home to get warm!

Nobody really wanted to get the race started. We all huddled next to the stables, trying to stay out of the wind. Finally, it was time to go freeze. Ugh. At the start, Kaylen (she'd finished third at the first race) took off. I tried to stay with her, but nope. Wasn't happening. That pace was a little faster then I wanted. Haley (who'd out-sprinted me on chip time) caught up with me at on the climb of the big hill. She pulled away as we crested the summing, but not by that much. I was able to reel her back in on the descent and get a little time. Not much as she caught me back on the next big climb. 

Racing through the snow with Haley right on my tail
I wasn't able to make up any ground on the next downhill. That actually worked in my favor as I was able to tuck in behind her on the due north stretch of path. Might not have been much more then mental games, but into that kind of wind, I was going to take any advantage I could get. Racing against kids almost half my age means I sometimes have to use the mental tricks. I don't have the speed I did when I was 23 anymore. 6:30 miles felt easy back then - not so much now!

The gloves came off! Literally and figuratively

Once we dropped out of the wind, I made my move. I knew I wouldn't catch Kaylen, but I wanted to limit my losses for the series. I also wanted to get as much time as I could on Haley. I didn't know if I'd be able to hold her off, but I had to try. Ouch. That last half mile hurt, but I held onto my second place. And kept sprinting right for my puffy coat! If anything, the temperature had dropped from the start of the race!

After two races, with two to go:
Kaylen Adragna 1:00:06
Me - 1:00:40
Haley Williamson - 1:00:46

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens for the next two races! This is one of the closest women's races in a while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..