Smoking...

Last year I ran the American Discovery Trail 10k on somewhat of a whim - coming off a small bout of overtraining and poor recovery after my 50 miler. I surprised myself with a 42:31 and the win for the 10k. This year, I was hoping for at least a little faster, knowing that the win is always dependent on if "real" runners show up. I still run, but I don't really consider myself to be a real runner right now. More a dabbler who occasionally goes a little faster then others. But I'd been hitting some decent paces on my intervals and showing some solid splits for the monthly Neilson Challenge. So I was pretty confident that I would be able to break 42 minutes this year. One thing that I forgot about - or tried to ignore - was the fatigue still in my legs from the Breck Epic. But riding fatigue is different then running fatigue, right?

I wish... Sleep was an elusive creature last night, between a neighbor's dog barking at something (the bear maybe?) the oppressive heat for early September and general stuffiness. I got up early enough to gather my work clothes and make coffee, then headed over to the start. The first thing I noticed was the thickness of the air - the stuffiness from the prior night had been from a heavy layer of smoke settling into the city. The air was dusky, heavy, and I could taste the smoke on every breath. Ugh. A stiff wind was blowing from the north, but it wasn't doing anything to clear the smoke. If anything, it was making things worse. My mouth was dry before I'd even finished my warmup and I ended up drinking two small cups of water before the start. Even that wasn't enough to do more then just dampen my tongue - I was still thirsty and dry. Another bad sign for me. I'm not a big drinker before races.

At the start and I immediately took a glance around the assembled runners. There were several women I knew were either faster then me or very close to my speed. It wouldn't be an easy day like last year. At the gun, the woman I'd pegged for taking the win took off. She was moving fast and running smoothly, pulling into the top five right away. I initially started going out with her, but quickly realized I wasn't going to hold that pace at all. Time to run what my legs and breathing would allow. Even so, my first mile was still a 6:30 - and it didn't feel comfortable. Not good at all. The smoke was definitely affecting my breathing and the mental motivation just wasn't there at all. My second mile was much slower, but more comfortable. I was cruising along in second, waiting until the turn to see if I would be able to hold it.

At the first aid station, less then two miles into the race and I was parched. I took one glass and drained it, knowing the next aid station was right at the turn around. I would be able to get another drink then. Or so I thought... I was maintaining a half decent pace, still under a 7:00 pace average. We'd caught the half marathoners quickly this year, but the trail was wide enough for the most part. Then the leaders of the 10k started coming back and the trail narrowed quickly. The leading woman was in fourth place when I saw her and I meant to get a split for the space between us. But I was focused on the fact I'd be able to get a glass of water soon. Or so I thought - this year the water station was past the turn around. No water unless I ran past the turn, which I wouldn't do. One of my co-workers, Christy, was right behind me. I didn't know if I'd be able to hold her off, but I would at least try. My legs were feeling heavy and my left quad was cramping a little. And I just wanted a drink - one drink. Christy pulled along side at about mile 4 and I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with her. I just wasn't feeling like I could move smoothly. Finally, we reached the aid station again and I was  able to get not one but two cups of water. Ahh....

Just a temporary relief however. Within minutes - before even hitting the fifth mile, I was feeling parched again. But with one mile left, I could keep going and focus on something else. The runners in front of me and the terrain I'd done a few workouts on in the prior weeks. Not enough evidently, as I was not able to pick up the pace like I'd been working on in some of my runs. But what does one expect when racing a 10k and having minimal distance running in the legs? I may have been lucky to have 10 runs over six miles in the past five months! At the bridge over the creek, I stole a glance behind me - Wendy was right there - no slacking off allowed. Although, the though of easing up and letting her pass me did cross my mind! More points for Team Fieldhouse for a fourth place finish then a third place as that fourth place would have been a "first" in my age group... But there's also this thing called pride and I wasn't willing to give up. Rounding the corner for the last .2 miles, I saw the woman's winner - she didn't even look tired! I kept pushing through the finish, barely breaking 43 minutes with a 42:54. At first, I was a little disappointed - but then I saw my time from last year. Only 20 seconds faster. And on a perfect running day when I felt spunky. This year, I was guzzling water and Gatorade right after I finished and kept drinking all day at work.

Maybe next year I'll come into the race a little more focused and get that 41 time. Or maybe not. I don't really know what I'm doing next year yet!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..