Misplaced Idolization

It's a frequent statement by runners - I can't play pickup basketball with MJ or throw a football with Manning, but I can run with the elites! And that statement then gets interpreted to mean that races should be actively seeking out the various elite runners and catering to them. After after all, having the elites there will attract more every day runners so they can rub shoulders with their idols. Having the elite there will inspire the every day runner through talks and photo ops. And so the race will benefit from having the few fast people there, getting all the attention and the press. But really? Is that honestly what happens? I don't think so. I think the races that devote the time and money to the every day runners rather then the elites are better events and more in tune with what runners want.

I also come at that observation from a very different perspective then most runners. I am looking at this from the perspective of a once elite/sub-elite runner. I have had races pay to fly me out to compete. I've had hotel and food paid for, with taxi service from the airport to the race headquarters. I've run in two different USATF National Championships, won numerous marathon and still hold some course records. I've placed in the top 50 women at the 2002 NYC Marathon and came within seconds of qualifying for the 2004 Olympic Marathon Trials. I don't say all this to brag, but to highlight the fact that I have seen the other side of the fence. I have been one of the athletes that races brought in to have a strong women's field, to have a sub 3 hour marathon posted on the course. I've sat on panels discussing training, nutrition and gear. I've signed a few photos in my time. This is in no way meant as a derision of other athletes or races that chose to bring in elites. This is merely my observations based on my experiences - on both sides.

I can run with the elites... That statement has always made me laugh. Yeah, for about 1 minute! At least if I was playing basketball with MJ, he'd dial down the skills so that I might actually have a chance to get a basket (although if anyone has seen me thrown a basketball, even that's far fetched.) But when I was in the half marathon National Championships, I saw the real elites for about 2 minutes after the start. I didn't seen them much before the race - they all had the fancy bus while the rest of us were in the normal school buses. And the athletes behind us in the starting line? They never even saw us. Yes, they were running on the same course, but they did not run with the elites. At New York, the sub-elite women were camera fodder for the elite women as they ran past. I didn't even run the same course as the elite women, despite my status. We were on the Red course - they were on the other side of the bridge on the Blue course. So really, we aren't running with the elites. We are running in their foot steps yes, but rubbing shoulders with them? Not so much. And in most cases, the every day runner doesn't even see the elite athlete prior to the race outside of sponsored photo ops and autograph signings.

I can learn so much from them! I look back at this statement and smile. Seriously - what did 23 year old me, not working, living with my mom, able to do nothing but run and recover know about real life? And what can that 23 year old me tell a 44 year old mother of two about training that will actually be applicable? I was able to sleep in if I wanted, run my workout, shower, eat and nap before doing an easy run later that day. I din't have to try to squeeze in the workout before dawn, then pack up lunches for everyone, bundle the kids off to school and then dash to work while still trying to eat something healthy. More runners face the latter scenario then the first, so really - 23 y/o me knew absolutely nothing about life balance. I wouldn’t be asking myself at 23 how me at almost 40 can get faster and stronger - the answer I would give myself wouldn’t help.I don't think I could even do the training I was doing then now! Even today's elite runners are the same - we read about the training regimes in the magazines, but then also see the weekly massages, the three hour naps.. You cannot do one without the other. So how does having a panel of elite athletes talking about their training really help the every day runners? It doesn't. If anything, it adds confusion and decreased confidence about the upcoming race.

And then there's the gear and other aspects. How many of us have had friends go to a nutrition talk the day before a race, get wowed by all the befits of some specific product and then decide to use it during the race? And how many times has that worked? Or how many times have vests or poles been highlighted as the best to get because runner so and so uses them? So you rush out to get that style, only to find the poles aren't durable or the vest doesn't fit well? Here's the thing - elite athletes, brand ambassadors, influencers - whatever they are called - are paid to promote the products. They will say what they need to to encourage the rest of us to purchase the product. They aren't going to mention any issues with the product because that would jeopardize the paycheck or the discount. Full disclaimer - I do have some sponsors who provide me with discounts on products. You'll see me mentioning them across all social media platforms. But even if I didn't get the discount, I would still use the products. I've paid full price for everything before applying for sponsorship and have only applied with companies I can fully support. If I'm not willing to pay for something, then how can I in good faith convince other people to pay full price? So with that in mind, how does going to a talk on gear from someone who used one brand of shoes last year, but is now hyping a different brand with the same words as before really help me learn anything?

Again, the question becomes does having the elite runners at every race really benefit the events and the other runners? Was the 5:30 marathoner who didn't get a finishers medal because the race ran out benefited by me getting the hotel and comp entry? Not really. Did the 44 y/o mom get inspired by someone young enough to be her daughter win the race, but who she never saw outside a brief introduction at the prerace dinner? Again, not really. I do recognize that some elites are better then others when it comes to being present at the finish for other runners - but not most. Did the runner just happy to be there, undertaking a personal challenge benefit from running the same course as people who were sequestered in a cozy bus prior to the race while he had to shiver in the freezing rain? I think you know the answer to that one. After reviewing my experiences - both as the pampered elite and the no-name runner, my answer is no. I would rather see the races spend the money on quality finishers awards and making sure there's enough for everyone, even DFL. I'd rather see the money it cost a race to host 10 sub-elite runners go to making sure the aid station have enough supplies for everyone racing. I understand now that the training me at 23 did needs be modified for the reality of work-life-training balance that most everyday runners face. I know that the mid-packer who paid hard earned money for his gear will have a more valid opinion on durability and comfort. There is a place for the elites - however we shouldn't use their presence has a mark of the quality of the race. We shouldn't be judging races on if the director chooses to bring in elites or not. Not wanting elites isn't anti runner at all. It's just a different priority of where time and effort should be spent. We should be judging races on the quality of the finished product, based on personal experiences on the course. We should be celebrating everyone - not idolizing the gifted few. We should be working to make everyone feel welcome on the course, runners of all shapes, sizes or speed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..