An oasis in the night

The trail is lonely at night - but off in the distance a string of lights glows. The lights guide you into one of the many aid stations - an oasis in the night, a reprieve from the solitude of the empty woods. And while this reflects one particular aid station, at the end of a cold and damp stretch of trail the feeling of welcomeness and care at all the aid stations cannot be beat. From the moment you come into view of the volunteers to the moment you head back into the the woods, you - the runner - are all that matters. 

There were seven aid stations at the Silverheels 100 and we hit all but one multiple times. A few had different crews each time I went through, one I never stepped under the tent and one had the same gang there all four times I ran/hiked by. Without the amazing volunteers at all of the aid stations, I would not have finished. Any ultra runner who does not acknowledge that it is the volunteers that make the race is not paying attention. And that's what makes the current state of affairs where race directors are having to beg for volunteers even sadder. We as runners have forgotten the joy volunteering provides and have fallen back into focusing just on the race and how many races we can do 

High Park - the 100 mile runners saw this high elevation outpost at nearly 12,000 feet four times. The first time at the top of the gradual climb out of Alma, the tents of the aid station illuminated from the sunrise. We were just starting our journey at that time, but the tents were still a welcome sight. I didn't stop the first time, knowing I had enough to get out to the mine and back. My second time through, sporting my grey wrist band from my first out and back to the mine, I took them up on some water and ginger ale. All precious supplies that had to trucked up a rugged 4wd road. It would be many hours before I returned to this point, but when I did everyone was awake and ready to help. I can only image how cold their night must have been - with at least one person awake the entire night waiting for those speed runners to cruise through in the overnight darkness. Me? I was back just before the second sunrise, the coldest time of the day. 

The High Park aid station - an outpost near treeline, the tents a welcome sight.


Poor Man's Gulch and Tarryall - these were the crew points for the race, so I never really went into the aid station proper. I checked in and out of Poor Man's the first time with only a short stop for bacon. Nick took race of everything else. The second time through I'd lost huge chunks of time to my goal and had just been jarred back to reality by the stream of 50 mile runners heading off into the woods. It was dark, cold and I was focused on one thing. Getting some calories down and finishing out the last 20 miles of the race. I wasn't interested in talking to anyone that time around. Now Tarryall was s different story! They had set up the timing tent where Gold Dust crossed the road and the aid station a little further down the road. And the women doing the timing when I came through all three times were the most cheerful, encouraging people I saw. The cheers I got when I left Tarryall III, with the cheeky comment that it was "one step further then last year..." were worth every step. And Matt at the aid station made it a point to come down to the van to check in and see if we needed anything. 

Jungle Hill - Two crews at Jungle hill when I went through. The morning crew had to deal with the bugs looking for some food as well as the runners while the overnight volunteers had to steel themselves against the cold and damp. Dropping down from the Crooked Creek drainage we were greeted by a cheerfully decorated tent with all the ultra fixings. It was still early and the volunteers were eagerly awaiting us crazy runners. I wasn't there for long - enough to get some water, a small snack and say thanks. Then off into the wilderness. On the way back, the lights of Jungle hill were a welcome sight. That much closer to the finish! The volunteers were bundled up against the cold, but it was a losing battle with the creek rushing right next to them. 

Trout Creek - I think the gang at Trout Creek had the worst of all worlds. The highest bug count during the day and the coldest, dampest stretch of trail. Right on the creek that is slowly trying reclaim the road and the trail. Trout Creek always has the christmas lights out and this year was no different. But before the christmas lights comes out, we pass through during the heat of the day. So many bugs this year. The Trout Creek crew handled the bugs with aplomb and plenty of bug repellent! They were also so happy and cheerful both times. I think they were having more fun then I was! I was tempted by the pineapple but not enough to actually carry it... 

Gold Dust and Como -  the two aid station in the middle of the course. We saw Gold Dust twice and Como once. Gold dust another small outpost in the wilderness - this one with the most important thing for the hot road section coming up. Ice. I'd learned from last year and had my ice scarf ready. It was like ordering ice cream! "I'll take two scoops please..." With some pickles and watermelon on top to make it the perfect hit. With the course changes, I was checking into Gold Dust II at the same time as some people were reaching Gold Dust I. What a perfect boost of motivation for everyone. I was in a great mood both times I hit Gold Dust and ready to tackle the next few miles. Como was a slightly different story. Still in a good mood, but with a slightly sour stomach I wasn't super pleased with. I would have loved to enjoyed the potato soup as it tasted so good. The sips I had on the climb back up Gold Dust trail were enough. 

And that's just the aid stations! That's not including all the behind scenes help - course marking, packet stuffing, runner check in... All things that we don't think about as runners unless something goes wrong. But maybe we as runners should be thinking about it. And maybe we should be stepping in to help more frequently - volunteer instead of running or find a task we can do and run. Race directors shouldn't have to beg for volunteers. We all should be more then willing to give back to the community we are a part of - the community of ultra runners. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..