Back on the Trail

The first step to any big adventure is learning the trail. Every time you run any little peice of track, you add more knowledge to the database. With as many miles as there are to cover, I think it’s going to take a while to accumulate the knowledge I need! But anyway, last year a new chunk of singletrack opened up here in the valley and I wanted to explore it. All the mountain bikers have been ripping laps, so I figured it was time for a runner to take on Windmill. I knew it would be a big loop, a nice long day and plenty of climbing where I could work in my pole technique. So I packed up my big pack and headed up to Bangs Canyon trail head. The route I had in mind was to drop down Tabaguche to Windmill and take the single track down to the river. Then I’d climb up Third Flats to Billings Canyon and head back to the car. I figured it would be about 21 miles for the loop, which was perfect for the day. 

One of these days, I'll get down to Hell's Hole

I was lucky - my one midweek day off was a cool and cloudy day. No need to fully load down with water. I got a little later start then I planned, but the parking lot at Bangs Canyon was still empty. Took a few minutes to gather my gear, send out a check in message so Nick knew what time I’d left and start tracking. The first two miles were down the chunky slickrock slabs of Tab, and quite the downhill it was! At the bottom where the Rough Canyon trail joined the road, it was time to climb. And time to break out the poles. I haven’t used them since Sangre 100k last year and it’s time to get back into practice. I was looking at another 2 miles of climbing I figured from the map - regaining everything I’d just lost. Settle in and run/hike for the long climb up to Windmill. It wasn’t a bad climb actually - some very steep pitches mixed with some very mellow and runnable sections. I actually made good time and was able to cover those four miles on Tab in less then an hour. 

One of the cool rock formations on Tab

The turn on the Windmill road was well marked. The next left into the singletrack? Not so much. It was pretty clear if you knew what you looking for. I kinda knew what I was looking for but still got a little turned around! Once on the singletrack though, it was time to stash the poles and focus on running. The trail was amazing. One of the long single track run where it really felt like it would be as fun running as it would riding. Well built, incorporating the terrain into the trail instead of fighting the terrain with a bulldozer. I was grinning the entire time! I did have two cyclists catch me doing down - only to re-pass them when they stopped for a snack! I don’t think they anticipated I would catch them again as they were quite surprised to see me the second time.  

The start of Windmill Singletrack

Unfortunately, the fun of the singletrack only lasted about 8 miles. I still had a few miles to go to get back to the car! Namely the rest of the drop down to the river and then the climb up and out. I was able to run most of the river road, but stopped to pull out my poles  on the first climb. That was one of the reasons I’d forgone a full singletrack run today! I really need to work on getting smooth and efficient with my poles. In the steep climbs, rather moderate grades and downhills. I’ll be using them at Silverheels again this year so might as well follow my own advice. Everything was pretty easy along the river, but I could see the Third Flats road climb looking ever closer. I had a lot of climbing to go to get back to the car! At the base of the hill, I dug in and started marching up. Run when I could, hike and pole otherwise. And while some people might say leaving my rubber protective tips on my poles is a newbie move, for our ledgy sandstone here it’s actually the safest! The carbide tips don’t grip worth a darn on slickrock. I’ve run the Third Flats road a few times and it’s the perfect gradual climb to work on pole tech. I’m starting to feel more fluid  both running and hiking with my poles. It’s a slightly different gait pattern running - every other step plant the pole - but that’s where I’m comfortable. 

Gunnison River - looking down towards Third Flats Road

With the route I picked, I turned off Third Flats at the bottom of Billings Canyon. Past the entrance to Billing Canyon Jeep road and up the first big hill. I was entering unknown territory now - I hadn’t gotten the chance to explore this area at all last year. I didn’t even know how far it was on Billings Canyon Rd to the parking lot! I had some visual cues to follow - the red canyons about Rough Canyon and the mesa above Little Park Rd. But distance can get distorted and who knows how many twists and turns the road will take. I knew there would also be more climbing - Bangs canyon trailhead is a few hundred feet higher then Third Flats. Time to just settle in and find that comfortable effort level. I saw my third person of the day here, a dirt biker out for a ride. I would see him twice - he must have parked at Bangs as well. Again, I don’t think he anticipated seeing anyone else out there! Most of the hikers who park at Bangs go do the Mica Mine trail or explore Rough canyon a little. As the road twisted around the terrain contours, I started recognizing landmarks. The white cliff above the parking area. The red sandstone across the canyon near Windmill road. Getting closer! In the end, it was just over 21 miles for the loop but slow with all the hiking and climbing. I may need to go back now that I know the loop and try going a little faster. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..