Return to Dead Horse

I ran the Dead Horse 50k back in 2018 - kinda my year of returning to running. I had pondered upgrading to the 50 mile race after the Vapor Trail 125 mountain bike race was cancelled. I opted to stick with the 50k that year since I really wasn't running all that much and I wasn't sure about running on slick rock for 50 miles. At that point, it was the right choice - I wasn't ready for a 50 mile race by any means. I fell apart in the last 6 miles of the race, the slick rock beating me up and leaving me humbled. So humbled that I'd sworn off distance running on slick rock at that time. But as with anything, things change

I was more then a little worried going into Dead Horse this year. While I've been running many more miles on similar terrain, I haven't been running nearly as fast as I was back in 2018. Much slower in fact. Haven't seen a 6 in front of any mile split for a while. How would that affect me going into the fastest race of the Triple Crown? One thing I did know was that I had to run smarter then in I did in 2018. I had to stay in my own mind and just run the pace I could handle - not try to race from the start. Hopefully, being a little more conservative in the beginning would yield dividends come the last 10 miles. At least that was the thought. Mindful of the fact I was slower then two years ago, I set my goal time a little slower as well. Why stress to try to run faster then in 2018 when I wasn't as fast in general?

Getting ready for the start. Social distancing and masks required!
Photo - Lynne Day

This was my first "big" race in the  COVID era. Sure, I'd done three other live races, but they had all be relatively small events. Even Dead Horse was small by their standards this year. There were maybe 500 people between all three distances this year, unlike prior years where the events would sell out with 600 people or more in just the 50k! Such is the nature of COVID era racing though. Another change was the deserted start/finish area. No crowds of people - just the runners getting ready to start and with only 10 runners per wave, it was not even many runners! One nice thing about that? No huge line for the porta-potties as everyone tried to take care of business at the same time! Once out on course, it was also a lot quieter as it was just small groups that spread out rather quickly instead of herd of runners descending onto the single track all at once.

Like at Bears Ears, I was in the second wave - an all women's wave that featured the fastest women. Keeping in mind that I wanted to be conservative, I let the younger women take off at the start. I would run my own pace. At the top of the hill leading into the Gemini Bridges area, I was in 4th. A good spot to be in - the third woman wasn't too far but pulling away on the decent into the valley and I had a bit of a gap on the women behind me. Stay smart, stay in control - don't let the downhill lure you in and blow up your legs. As anticipated, I was a few minutes slower coming into the first aid station, but I felt really good.  And the fun was just starting. The first aid station signaled we were approaching the end of the road. Literally. From the turn on to Arth's Corner until many miles later on Gold Bar, we were going to be on the amazing singletrack of the Mag 7 trails. Yes, I've ridden it all on my bike. Yes, it's fun running. But honestly, it's more fun on a bike. That had been one of my mistakes the first time running Dead Horse. I'd treated the trails as if I was on my bike, which had added a pounding my legs weren't ready for. This year? I was still planning on reading the lines like I was riding, but with more beginner’s eyes. Find the rollable lines - not the jumps and hucks. I was also hoping all the miles in Lunch Loops would prepare me for the uneven slick rock. 

Sunrise over the La Sals

I put the location of the other women out of my mind. I was solidly in fourth and just running smooth. Through Arth’s Corner and down to the Crack House aid station I felt really good. This year, they didn’t make everyone head down to the aid station to check in. I had everything in needed for the next 8 miles, so just kept going. There would be some easy running through the open fields for a while before the technical climb up Getaway started. Again, I stayed chilled and inside my head. I wasn’t going to make up time here - not without blowing up my legs. Just run. Nice and relaxed, nice and smooth. I was starting to catch the 50 mile racers now. A little earlier then last time, but expected with the wave starts. As always, a smile and hello and Nice work when I passed them. They were in for a long day and working just as hard as anyone else out there. 

Into the real singletrack climb up Getaway and I was in my element. I might have been running as fast as I had two years ago, but I felt great. Smooth and fluid on the technical rocks. Don't force the pace, don't over extend yourself. The body movements for slickrock running didn't feel awkward and I was modulating stride and gait as needed to maintain the pace. So much smoother. It was nice to see the improvements from the last time. And then as the trail kept winding higher and higher towards the aid station, I caught a glimpse of the third place woman. Humm... I was starting to catch her - my comfort on the slick rock showing in the different gait patterns. It was too soon to make it a race though. We weren't even halfway through with the run. I filed her location away in my mind and focused on just running. If a catch would be made, it would happen on Bull Run. 

One of the changes I'd made due to COVID was carrying a little more fluid. I'd started with enough electrolyte to last the entire race, planning on just supplementing with water and such from the front soft flasks. Filling the bladder for such a fast ultra was time I didn't want to take. So when we got to the halfwy aid station at the end of Getaway, I had both my soft flasks out and ready. Water in one, ginger ale in the other - then I was back on the trail. I didn't need any food since I had all my snacks in my vest. Carrying a little extra weight was worth the efficient stops at the aid stations in my mind. I didn't have to think about anything besides getting some fluids and keeping moving. Since I've been doing so many long runs where I was carrying a full bladder plus soft flasks, plus so many snacks and warm clothes, even the fuller then normal for racing bladder felt light.

The third place woman had left the aid station just as I was coming in. Definitely bringing the gap down. But now we were heading into Bull Run. The real technical trail of the course. Trending down, but with enough punchy climbs to keep the pace honest. View the trail with beginner eyes - find the smoothest, most efficent lines around instead of the biggest and most fun. Because fun on wheels is different then fun on foot. We crossed the road and dropped into Bull Run proper and I made the catch into 3rd. I guess the race is ON! If you are going to catch someone, make it count and make it stick. I was more then happy to have caught her early on Bull Run because I was able to take full advantage of my technical running skills. Don't get cocky though. Slickrock hurts if you land on it, no matter what sport you are doing! Tempting as it was to glance behind and see what gap I'd gotten, I had to keep my eyes forward. One moment of inattention on that terrain can lead to a crash. 

A good and bad thing about the wave starts. Good was the lack of congestion on the trail and in the aid stations. Unlike the first year, where the aid stations were mobbed with everyone coming in all at the same time and the last few miles of single track were busy with the 30k runners, the trail was quiet. All the aid stations were smooth and quick because people were spread out. Catching the 30k runners on Little Canyon was easier then last time because they were all spread out. At the same time, there were miles and miles of trail where I was alone. Sure, I had a number on and was racing, but there were only faint indications of people running around me. It was actually a relief to join the 30k runners! I like running alone and do most of my training by myself. But that doesn't mean I want my races to be solo efforts. Company is good. And motivating to keep moving. I was able to kind of hide in the 30k runners and use them as motivation as well. Catch one and move on to the next. And keep running. Little Canyon had been my bear last time - I'd cracked hard on the slick rock there. While my legs were feeling the pace and the miles, I wasn't cracking. Not yet. Still running smoothly and quickly. I just needed to keep the pace going for another five miles up and over to the finish. 

Photo bombing the COS crew!

The final road miles were a good mental test. Keep the shuffle going, Nice and smooth - run when you can, walk what you must, but try to keep running. Just before the start of the really steep climb, I caught the group of COS runners who were doing the 30k. Almost got into the photo bomb! A short slowing to chat, then back up the hill and trying to push the pace. I would not give up on the last climb, nor give in on the final descent - unlike last time. Keep running hard the entire way. In the end, my time wasn't that much slower then 2018. Five minutes over the course of 30 miles. I'd run the first half slower, but been much stronger on the last half. I also managed to keep 3rd place! A great start for the Triple Crown of Moab

Third place!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..