A Story of Rebuilding

Even before my crash in November, I’d been planning on doing the 6 hour race at Stories Ultra. I wanted to be able to volunteer and running the 6 hour seemed to be the best way to make it a great weekend of both racing and giving back. I knew I’d miss the fun of Blue and Purple, but that wasn’t the point. After my crash and the subsequent (and still in progress) process of recovery, I was happy to be doing the the six hour. I was hoping to just be able to keep moving for the entire six hours! I’d had some solid runs in January, with two over 20 days. So I knew I was at a point to be able to keep moving - I just didn’t knew how fast I’d be able to push it. My training runs in CMSP had yielded mixed results in terms of lap times. So I decided a reasonable goal would be a 50k - or pretty close. After all, I’ve done two 50ks in the park under 6 hours with more elevation then the multiple laps of Red and Green. It would be a challenging, conditions dependent goal - but a good goal for a rebuild race.

Sunrise - the dawn of a new day is the perfect chance to rebuild
Of course, when I saw the snow coming down Friday and then spent 4 hours marking course in nearly 2 feet of snow, I knew all bets were off. The plan is dead - long live the plan. I’ve typed that only once before - in the middle of Arizona Hurricane during the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo. I was so confident the plan was dead, I didn’t even bring it with me when we headed to the park for the night! I would just wing it - see what happens in the moment and do what felt right. I wasn’t sure if I was going to use my vest, my hip belt or just my handhelds, so I filled up the bottle from my waist belt and my large Skratch bottle with Skratch. I could go with any options that way. Because course marking took me so long, all the last minute prep I’d left till when I got home didn’t get done - including making coffee and planning for supper and breakfast. Again, winging it! Supper was a baked potato eaten under the light of the nearly full moon, next to the campfire. Not exactly what most people would consider carboloading for a long run the next day! After hanging out at the fire for a few hours, it was time for bed. No need to set an alarm - the 30 and 15 hour runners were starting at 6:00 and we surely would be woken up by all the commotion.

Sunrise over Cheyenne Mountain
The morning was cold - bitterly cold. I felt sorry for the longer runners heading out for their first laps in the cold darkness, having to forge through the freshly broken trail. But still - as the sun’s rays pierced the darkness and the mountains faded from black to pink to white from snow, the morning was stunning. The snow glittered in the sunlight, every tree sparkling in those early morning rays. It would be a classic Colorado bluebird day, with brilliant skies and fresh powder. I dressed for my race, trying to plan on staying warm for the first lap and then not overheating as the sun rose higher. Since I’d left the plan at home and it was quite a bit colder then I’d anticipated, I did something completely different. Brand new jacket over my vormii hoody, warmer capris and then tall socks. I also opted for something warm in my handheld for that first lap! My left over coffee! I filled my second handheld with Skratch and put a bag of gummies in the pocket. That would get me a few laps and then I could figure out what I was doing. While listening to John’s pre-race briefing, I eyed the section of trail running out of the campground. It was a narrow trench in deep snow, really only big enough for one person. Humm... So before John got to the end of his briefing, I sidled over to the rocks that marked the start of the single track. I had no clue how fast I would be running, but I didn’t want to put myself behind from the start! Sure enough, when John told us to get out of there, I was the first person on the singletrack! I knew it wouldn’t last, but it was kinda cool to lead out the field across the Meadows.
A runner finishing out one of her loops before the 6 hour race started

Then it was onto the loops that I knew so well. Just red and green this year, but every turn was familiar. The 30/15 hour runners had indeed done a good job of packing in the first two loops, creating the trench in the snow that became the hallmark photo from the race. I had two guys pretty close behind me - they would gain every time the trail tipped up, but I would be able to out run them on the flats and down hills. Part of the was because I’d opted to start with my Kahtoolas on - I knew from course marking that until the snow really got packed down, the extra traction would be nice. Might make the day a little longer because of the extra weight, but it sure was nice knowing that my foot would stay where I put it! The coffee was a hit for that first red, nice and warm and a bit of a treat. When I stopped to grab my second handheld, I dropped off my coat - the sun was already warming the air nicely. I was also much faster then I’d anticipated based on conditions. Not the sub 30 minute red on the plan, but still a reasonable time. Off onto Green! I followed my tact from last year, tying the ribbons in my braids. Good thing I was doing the shorter race since I’d chopped off most of my braids from last year!

The trail - just a packed trench in the snow at the start!
The loops flew past. Red in the chill of the morning, green as the sun started warming the snow. I caught a few longer racers on my first green as they were finishing up blue. The narrow trail meant someone was getting snowy feet and I tried my hardest for it to be me. I didn't have to worry about my feet getting wet for only six hours. The sparkling snow was vanishing, the crystal layer from the cold night melting. The two guys behind me caught me as we entered the Meadows. Nick asked if I needed anything and I said I’d get my hip belt next lap. Onto the second red. The trail was even more packed down now, making for a surprisingly fast trench of a trail. Until you stepped to the side - then it was back to the knee deep fluffy snow! I was settling into my groove, running and hiking, sipping my Skratch and smiling like crazy. The theme of the race was “when we were kids” and I couldn’t think of anything better then to be out in nature, playing in the snow. The conditions were crazy, but the day invited nothing more then fun. But with the sun, I needed to remember to eat and drink. I swapped to my hand held after my second Red lap and told Nick I’d be good for a while. He had some work to do, so I would just run and let him work. 

I was feeling really good. Much better then I though I would. I knew the 50k goals was well out of reach due to trail conditions, but I was still eyeing a marathon distance. Might as well! I’d had two guys pass me, but so far was in the lead for the women. I had no goals for place - this was a rebuilding race. But being the lead was a nice feeling and a good confidence boost. The trails were definitely getting more packed in and the snow sticky in the snow. I kept pondering taking my kahtoolas off, but was still liking the traction I was getting on the shaded climbs. So every time I though about taking them off, I just ended up leaving them on. I knew at times point, I’d take them off - but wasn’t quite ready. My pace on the climbs was slowing a little, but not much at all. Eating and drinking was the hard part to remember. It was cold, so I didn’t feel like I was sweating that much - but at the same time, the sun was warm and reflected brightly off the snow. On my third green lap, I met one of the other COS runners finishing up his first Purple - but he was going the wrong way! The intersection of chaos had struck again... He followed me down to the intersection, I pointed him up. Then as I was pondering how to better make the corner - purple was my loop after all! - a large group came around the bend. I pointed both them and the next group up the left turn, then pulled one of the flags approaching the intersection. Maybe that would help! While I was fussing with the markings, a few other runners came down from Green and turned - including a few women. I didn’t think much of it at the time. Then it was off to finish my lap.

On my climb up Blackmere, I was trying to do math and was getting caught in the stupid runner math brain. I was trying to figure out how many more laps I could get before switching to Gold. I needed to start my final lap before 1:00. At first, early in the day, I thought it would be maybe three circuits, plus red and then a pile of golds. Now I wasn’t sure. Maybe I could get a full four circuits! If my math was right.... Dropping my hip belt for a handheld at the end of that green, taking off the Kahtoolas, and I took off. I had time, maybe. I just couldn’t dawdle. Then the math became would it be easier and faster to wait for the Golden Hour? As I approached the last climb of that red, it was a firm no. I was going to have at least 15 minutes - in that time, I could be all the way down to Zook, covering distance. If I waited, I would be stationary. No matter how much faster the Gold loop would be, it still wouldn’t make up for missing 15 minutes of moving time. No more runner math, just time to run. But I didn’t know how many gold loops I needed for a marathon. I thought maybe two. Hopefully I’d have time for three so I would be sure to get the distance. 

As I finished the last Green, the Meadows was like a mini washing machine of runners. 30 and 15 hour runners, heading in and out for their laps. 6 hour runners, reaching the end and then turning around to start gold. Some runners were already finished with their day and the entire aid station area was filled with people. I wasted no time and turned right around to start my gold loops. I had 30 minutes. Hopefully that would be enough time to knock out three full laps. I had to finish before 2:00 or that final lap didn’t count. One down - faster then I though I’d be able to run. Two down - I met some friends also doing the 6 hour race, gave them a little cheer and then continued on my path. I had about 10 minutes for that final Gold. Enough time for sure. When I crossed the line after finishing my third gold, Emily looked at her watch and said “you’ve got 4:30 - that’s enough time for another one, right?” Umm... Nope! I’d gotten my marathon, I’d felt great the entire day. I hadn’t won the women’s race - one of the women who’d passed me while I was messing with the course markings was in the 6 hour race and had had just enough time for a 4th Gold to my three. She actually finished about three minutes after me, squeezing in under the time. She’d seen me at the finish and we’d chatted for a bit. We had been in the same age group for a while, so she mentioned she always anticipated getting second in the AG when I was there. Not this time! Nick scolded me a little about stopping - it was a race after all! But I wanted to make sure that course was clear.

Crossing the finish line!
Last year the story was accidentally running my first 100. This year? It was a story of rebuilding - of a second chance for racing. A story of injury and healing and the lessons along the way. I didn’t know what I would be capable of doing back in November. At that point, even walking around the block was a challenge! When I was discharged, the mile and a half walk to the library was an effort. It has truly been a slow process rebuilding to the point where I could even hope for doing a 50k over the course of the 6 hours. And along the way, it’s been a story of changing perspectives, changing ideas and shifting goals. How will you change the world? One person at a time - one small gesture of welcoming, one act of kindness and bringing back the joy of being a kid again.

My story - the laps, don't call it a comeback and the mountain. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..