Redemption

Last year's CMTR was one to forget. Between a stressful week where I spend most of my spare time in the hospital - as well as my work hours and not being focused on the race, it all lead up to my first ever DNF. Hard to take after such a fun racing at the 2016 CMTR and missing the 2017 event with my eye, but I vowed to learn from the mistakes I'd made and come back stronger and smarter. Most important would be to fully be in the moment, focused on the task at hand.

Troubled skies but a clear mind. That’s the only way to approach this weekend

Last year was the 25k. One lap of the figure 8 course. This year? Since it's the year of the ultra, I figured I'd do both laps I'd missed. The 25k I'd signed up for but wasn't able to race in 2017 and last years DNF. Yep, back to the 50k. Of course, after having just finished the Rattler 50k in some interesting conditions, I'm not gunning for a specific time or place. Just to run smart, try for a negative split, make sure my hydration plan for hotter weather is working and generally have fun. Easy to do when surrounded by friends, on a great course and supporting an outstanding cause (Achilles Pikes Peak)

Any time I go into a race, I have to make sure that I respect the distance. There’s a lot that can happen over the course of an ultra run - from blisters to bonking, chafing to crashing. It’s a long time to be moving and a long distance to cover on two feet.  While this race might be somewhat of a redemption run, it brings me back to my first ultra. In 2016, it had been over 5 years since my last marathon. I had no idea of what I was doing. In 2016, I was still mostly a road runner, with the road runner mentality of time being the ultimate goal. Now, I’ve definitely transitioned to the trail side of the world, loving the longer distances and the challenge they present. I know that a 50k might be a little longer then 31 miles, but it also might be a little shorter. There’s no comparison between races because of the differences in courses. I’ve also grown as a runner, recognizing that while the front runners have worked hard and trained for hours to achieve those amazing time, it’s also the middle and back of the pack runners that are working the hardest and challenging themselves the most. They are also the hidden runners in any race, the ones finishing while the winners are showering or enjoying the post race BBQ. They are the ones chasing cut-offs, hoping the aid station will still have food and water when they come through. They are also the ones who experience the race in a far deeper way then the front runners chasing times. They are the ones who really are challenging their potential in a greater way then the fast runners. The fast runners are challenging the times and the speed on a particular course, but there isn’t the pressure of chasing cutoffs.

So while I might be returning to the CMTR, where I ran my first ultra, it will not be the same race. I’ve changed as a runner, I’ve learned to respect everyone toeing the line that day and respecting the challenges all runners are facing. The redemption in this race comes from two sources - returning to my only DNF ever and honoring the challenges everyone is facing, regardless of the finish time. The first year I ran, I was focused only on me and on winning the race. This year? The place is yet to be determined, but I know that every time I see someone on the course, I need to encourage them and respect the challenges they are facing. We are all challenging our human potential and it is the experience that allows us to grow in greater ways then just chasing times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..