Learning to Listen

I had my final long run planned today - hoping for another 25 mile day at CMSP to check out course conditions following the snow on Friday and the blizzard Tuesday. I knew there was more weather moving in, but took my chances. After all, if the weather isn't ideal on the 9th we still have to race and I still have the miles to cover. So even though I really didn't feel like running and all I wanted to do was go back to sleep, I headed down to the park with my warm clothes and the goal to just run as far as I could. Today was one of the those days where I needed a smack on the head to listen. As usual, CMPS was happy to oblige.

Snow blowing in from a fast moving storm

I didn't get the miles I wanted - tripping over a snow covered rock and landing hard on another rock precludes a long run. My mistake for not really paying attention in the drifting snow. But while the time on feet didn't meet my goals, I definitely learned a lot prior to Stories. I was able to get a baseline time for at least one loop under adverse conditions. Given that my guess time was within a minute of the actual time run with a titch of mud and some decent snowdrifts covering a lot of the trail, I'll trust the plan I have! I know that plans are matter of opinion when it comes to running - having too much thought out doesn't leave much for improvisation on the fly. If this was a more traditional ultra where it was miles from aid station to aid station, then I would agree. But Stories is far from traditional. it's more like the 24 hour mountain bike racing and we've always had a plan for those. It keeps us on track so we know exactly where we are on course and on time. Has every mountain bike race gone according to plan? Nope - I've said a few times "The Plan is dead - long live the Plan" as we've scribbled over what could have been done with what will really be done. So I'm used to adjusting things on the run. That's not a concern for me at all. I don't get so attached to the plan as to start doing stupid runner math and then pushing harder then I should to stay on pace.

I've also been second guessing my warm clothes all month. After this run, I've got a little more confidence. I know my tights are warm enough as long as I keep moving. I know I've got the layers I need for the top. My Gore ShakeDry is the bomb for days like today where the wind is howling and the flakes flying. I had a light wool shirt under my gore today and was never cold. But I also have warmer options if I need them. I've also learned that the extra layer from my skirt definitely helps to keep me warm - more then almost anything else I've found. Gloves will always be the tricky part for me - my hands get so warm that they are sweating, but it's to cold to reasonably take the gloves off. So that's an issue that hasn't been solved. And I know, I know - its better to have hot hands then be wanting mittens to keep my hands from freezing! I also realized that the transition glasses I love during the day and during the summer don't work quite as well during cold weather. I need more light transmission, but still the protection from the wind. Clear glasses for night and something different during the day. As far as carrying my fluids - the pack works great when it's not cold out. But if it's cold and things start freezing - as it's currently forecast - then I might need something different. Either way, the pack fits just fine under my Gore coat!

It was actually really peaceful on the trails - the sounds of the city muffled by the wind.
I was also able to scope out the camping and pit area a little bit with the winds howling. It's one thing to look at the staging area on a nice day - another when it's cold and windy. I have a good idea of which sites I'll pick when I set up pit Friday. And it's not really for me. If it was just for me, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. It's for my crew - Kelly and Christy. I'm going to be moving the entire time (hopefully!) but they won't be. So if I can get a camping spot that's sheltered from the wind and convenient for them, the better. I'll have the full 24 hour setup now - the hunting tent, heater in the tent and cooking inside, so they will also be warm and comfortable. Because if you are asking someone to hang out and stay awake for 30 hours, you better try to keep them happy during the event! I'm not worried about not wanted to leave the warmth of the tent either. During the 24 hour races, while Nick was riding, I would have a timer going. When that timer went off, I always headed out into the cold of the night to meet him at transition. Even during the solo 24 hour races, while the clock was running I was riding - Nick made sure of that. I just need to draw on that mental strength when it starts getting dark and cold. Forward momentum, one step at a time.

And then the sun came out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..