Reflection

I'm not sure what made me think about this, but I started reflecting on everything I've done. Maybe it was reading a thread on Slowtwitch that asked people what races they would do if they didn't have to worry about qualifying, logistics or expenses. And looking over that list, it was "wow - I've done a lot of those races already!" Then I felt a little guilty, because its evident that many people would love to experience even a third of what I've gotten to do. Which makes me feel even guiltier, since I'm not sure I took advantage of what I was able to do. Things were just check marks on the list of things I would do. The history and signifigance of all the events was just a sidenote to me looking for my place. I just assumed I would achieve what wanted, regardless of how crazy it sounded. Most of it I did achieve. Some of it I didn't and and won't at this time. Others I have plenty of time to continue working towards.

But I don't want to make the same mistakes as I work towards my new goals. I don't want to be so focused I miss out on the experience of the journey. Since I'm naturally driven with my training, that's going to be hard. I've gotten better at balancing the needed workouts with just getting out and having fun. Sometimes it's not the numbers that matter, it's riding bikes with friends. It's making the memories of fun times while working hard. I've done enough interesting things and have plenty of fun stories to tell. Most are from the races before I started the blog, but all are from races on the Slowtwitch thread. Escape from Alcatraz, Kona, New York and marathons in all 50 states. I'll reflect on my history, looking at the experiences and fun from traveling the country. Hopefully, I'll also learn from my mistakes and keep this round of adventures fresh, fun and never take what I am doing for granted! Regardless, there will always be new and exciting stories, as well as insight into how I have evolved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..